This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Abolition of Man

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

re: The Abolition of Man

Postby contra mundum » July 20th, 2006, 4:08 pm

Abolition is simply a sublime work (and that does not mean "I have sublime feelings" about it). What sets it above the typical critique of moral relativism is its understanding of the seat of morality: the affections, what Lewis calls "the chest." Following the Way is not simply a matter of recognizing universal categorical imperatives and following them. It is the affections that ultimately must be changed, be ordered, and that happens through education. That Gaius and Titius were making such an education impossible by removing their student-readers' hearts was what infuriated Lewis so much about their work.

Lewis greatly increases his credibility by not arguing too much in Abolition. For example, he does not set the Tao alongside total moral scepticism and attempt to prove the former superior on purely rational grounds. The Tao's demands are not conclusions of a rational argument. Hence, the attempt to construct a pared-down, convenient Tao, upon a ground like "instinct," must fail (a point Lewis demonstrates in the second lecture). Rather, the Tao's dictates are premises. Thus Lewis says "you must not hold a pistol to the head of the Tao." You can reject it or submit to it, but you cannot ask it to produce proofs of its own validity.
“Doubt no longer, then, when you see death mocked and scorned by those who believe in Christ, that by Christ death was destroyed . . .”

Athanasius
contra mundum
Wardrobian

Postby JSD » July 22nd, 2006, 4:05 am

Last edited by JSD on July 23rd, 2006, 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
JSD
Wardrobian

Re: re: The Abolition of Man

Postby rusmeister » July 22nd, 2006, 4:46 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby k-mann » August 22nd, 2006, 6:08 pm

In , Dr. Peter Kreeft compares The Abolition of Man to Walker Percy's Lost in the Cosmos, and he called Lost in the Cosmos "The Abolition of Man in late night comedy format."

Listen to it, I think it's great. The main point in The Abolition of Man, I think, is that the natural law is really what makes us human. Remove the cause, and you remove the effect. Remove this law, and you remove man. Abolish this law, and you abolish man.

Also losten to about identity.

And of course read the passages about the natural law in Mere Christianity, where Lewis (if my memory isn't playing tricks on me) points to The Abolition of Man.

Best,
"Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy."
-- Albus Dumbledore
k-mann
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Apologetics & Other Works