This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

A Closer Look (The Great Divorce)

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

A Closer Look (The Great Divorce)

Postby Zan » July 2nd, 2005, 12:08 am

Hey everyone!

A while back, I thought of actually making a sort of study guide (for lack of a better word) or just notes on the many Lewis books I read. I figured this could be beneficial to just read over from time to time to get the main points and it would also force me to focus on each and every sentence he writes. I chose to start with the Great Divorce and have the first chapter done. I was wondering, if any of you happen to be interested, in helping me out with this. We all know that two brains are better than one. :)

So, if you see something I missed or had some other insight from a particular passage, please let me know! Here's the first chapter:

Chapter 1
Here Lewis is portraying ones battle between the choice of living a life for Christ or continuing on our dark sinful road. This becomes apparent in the many conversations we overhear in this chapter. The queue, not knowing yet its true purpose, represents the patience needed to follow this path.

The Great Divorce is a book containing a plethora of conversations. Each and every conversation, including the manner in which they are portrayed, represents something different. With each conversation Lewis is trying to depict something to the reader, about themselves, and about mankind in general. Lets look at the first conversation:

"This sort of thing really makes someone think twice about going at all... This is hardly the sort of society I am use to." Here, the Short Man is thinking twice about staying on the line, that is, staying on the path towards Jesus and all that is Good. He uses an excuse to explain himself. His reasoning for not wishing to continue is because those that do continue are not like himself. He doesn't feel he will enjoy himself or feel comfortable. Lewis gets into this in many of his other writings. What I have gotten out of this is, the man is right. He will never feel comfortable or be able to enjoy himself. Not because of those who stay on the path, but because of himself. It his attitude, his hardened heart that makes him this way. That is why when people ask, "Why doesn't God just save everyone?" I answer, "Because if he were to save everyone, he would be sending some to Hell." Obviously I am using a play on words there. But this is what I mean: God gave us free will in some form. At least Adam and Eve had it (Not going to get into Armenism v. Calvinism here). Those that have the mindset of the Short Man, are too addicted to their sinful nature, that even if God allowed them into Heaven, they would find it awful. It would be too good for them, they couldn't bear it. Hell is our sinful nature with the absence of God's grace. This Short Man lives in a world where this sinful nature is present. We sin all the time. Those that accept God's grace are the ones who stay on the queue, those who leave, are those who reject and move toward a place without God's grace, Hell.

The role of the Big Man is somewhat mysterious. Turning to the main character, he says, "Don't you stand any sauce from him, Mister. You're not afraid of him, are you?" I can take two things from this.

1. The man is telling us to ignore the excuses from those who choose the other path. That's fairly straight forward.
2. The italics hint at something more. Lewis intentionally makes the effort to italicize the words "him" and "afraid". At first, I thought Lewis might be using the word "him" to represent God and telling us not be afraid of him. But this doesn't make sense because we should stand any sauce from Him, not ignore it. So, we come to conclude then, that we aren't to be afraid of the other "him", Satan. The Big Man, remains on the line, he keeps the Short Man from the main character easily. What does this symbolize? God protecting those who come to him from Satan.

We next see a couple leave the line arm in arm. The book states, "They were both so trousered, slender, giggly, and falsetto that I could be sure of the sex of neither, but it was clear that each for the moment preferred the other to the chance of a place in the bus." Simple. The couples mindset is; the all enduring love found inside the bus could not possibly exceed the love they have for each other. And so, they choose the sinful ways of our world, hiding behind something that is only a mere image of True Love.

The next portrayal is yet another example of Humans giving into the sinful ways of this world. A woman, hiding behind the excuse, "We shall never all get in" gives into the temptation of money by letting another switch places with her. She ends up realizing her mistake and screams. Isn't this so typical of our lives? We know when we sin. We always scream at the end.

The approach of the bus and the Driver prompt a response from one of the onlookers. His or her attitude demonstrates the attitude many have toward God. They view his position of power as tyrannical and self-fish, just because he demonstrates some authority. Everyone knows this is ridiculous. Its pure jealousy. The man or women speaking is too jealous, stubborn, and angry at their own indiscipline and lack of control over themselves, that they take it out on those they ultimately wish to be.

"My fellow passengers fought like hens to get on board the bus though there was plenty of room for us all." Lewis may be trying to depict his support for Free Will over Calvinism. Maybe not... who knows.

Main character meets someone else like him. "I thought you wouldn't mind my tacking on to you," he said, "for I've noticed that you feel just as I do about the present company. Why on earth they insist on coming I can't imagine. They won't like it all when we get there, and they'd really be much more comfortable at home. It's different for you a me." Ah! We talked about this above. Those refusing to accept Jesus (which will call unbelievers from now on) will never like Heaven even if they got there. That is where this bus is going. They are so set in their sinful ways, even if God allowed everyone into Heaven, even the unbelievers, they still would choose not to believe and hate being there. Notice Lewis' use of the word "comfortable" and "home". What does he mean by "home"?

He goes onto to support this. They have everything they want. The main characters new friend even tried to change them. But they wouldn't have it. They are too wrapped up in their own ways.
Zan

"I believe in God like I believe in the sun, not because I can see it, but because of it all things are seen." -- C.S. Lewis

"... the more doors you go out of, the farther you get in!" -- George MacDonald, Lilith
Zan
Wardrobian

Re: A Closer Look (The Great Divorce)

Postby josephus » July 4th, 2005, 3:09 pm

I do not know that I ever saw anything more terrible than the struggle of that Dwarf Ghost against joy.
josephus

Postby Zan » July 6th, 2005, 2:22 am

Zan

"I believe in God like I believe in the sun, not because I can see it, but because of it all things are seen." -- C.S. Lewis

"... the more doors you go out of, the farther you get in!" -- George MacDonald, Lilith
Zan
Wardrobian

Postby josephus » July 7th, 2005, 12:09 am

I do not know that I ever saw anything more terrible than the struggle of that Dwarf Ghost against joy.
josephus

Postby Zan » July 7th, 2005, 1:36 am

Zan

Zan
Wardrobian

re: A Closer Look (The Great Divorce)

Postby westsands410 » June 11th, 2006, 6:38 pm

westsands410
Wardrobian

Location: The beach, at Lat: 56° 22' 00" N Long: 2° 48' 30" W. Alternatively, Sussex.

Return to Apologetics & Other Works