This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Nouns & Adjectives

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Nouns & Adjectives

Postby Sylvia Lee » July 22nd, 2004, 4:19 am

Okay, I'm a big grammar nut, so when I came across the following passage in Lewis' The Problem of Pain, I had to write a journal entry on it (I took a C.S. Lewis class at school last semester and we were required to keep a journal). It's such a beautiful analogy, IMO.

Here's the entry:

Thursday, April 8, 2004

A Grammar Lesson

They wanted, as we say, to ‘call their souls their own.’ But that means to live a lie, for our souls are not, in fact, our own. They wanted some corner in the universe of which they could say to God, ‘This is our business, not yours.’ But there is no such corner. They wanted to be nouns, but they were, and eternally must be, mere adjectives.

-C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain, p. 75

What does Lewis mean when he says that men were and are ‘adjectives,’ but wanted to be ‘nouns’?

Wordnet defines the word ‘noun’ as “1. A word that can be used to refer to a person or place or thing. 2. A word that can serve as the subject of a verb.” I like this second definition best for the sake of the analogy: “A word that can serve as the subject of a verb.” I have learned in all my English classes since elementary school that an action (or a verb) always requires a subject (a noun) to perform that action. Inversely, I think it is fair to say that a noun (as a subject) is the only part of speech which is capable of fulfilling the verb; no other part of speech-- adverb, adjective, or participle-- has been endowed with the power of action. Also, a noun can stand alone and still bear significance: for example, if one sees the word ‘apple,’ the image of an apple immediately comes to the mind’s eye; it is a substantive object that one can easily visualize. Although the exact color and size of the imagined fruit may vary from mind to mind, it still has its sure defining qualities which, when seen, immediately identify it as an apple and not as a mango or a watermelon.

An adjective, on the other hand, if it stands alone, hardly has any meaning at all. What good is the word ‘long,’ for instance, without a noun for it to modify? One must say ‘long hair,’ or ‘long day,’ or ‘long book’ before the word can be given any real significance. In other words, an adjective is always dependent upon the noun it modifies; it is merely an accessory.

So when Lewis says, “They wanted to be nouns, but they were, and eternally must be, mere adjectives,” what he means is, mankind wanted to have the power to act for themselves, to be independent individuals with their own personal identity. They wanted to ‘call their souls their own.’ They didn’t want to be dependent upon God anymore for their lives to have any meaning; they were tired of being mere ‘accessories’ to the One True Noun.

The world is so vehement in encouraging all members of the human race to find their own identity, to be independent people capable of thinking and acting entirely for themselves. I have fallen into this trap probably every single day of my life. But what Lewis says is that the world’s philosophy is wrong: I cannot, by nature, be ‘my own,’ no matter how hard I try. I am, ‘and eternally must be, [a] mere [adjective].’ Alone, I am incomplete, and my purpose is vague. Only when I submit myself to God in all humility can I-- as adjective-- fulfill the grand purposes for which I was brought into being.

The question I must ask myself now is, what kind of adjective will I be?

Sylvia Lee
Sylvia Lee
Wardrobian

Re: Nouns & Adjectives

Postby loeee » July 22nd, 2004, 7:00 pm

"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2004, 5:45 pm

Postby Sylvia Lee » July 24th, 2004, 6:26 pm

Take my voice and let me sing always only for my King.
Take my lips, and let them be filled with messages from thee.
Take my hands and let them move at the impulse of thy love.
Take my feet and let them be swift and beautiful for thee.
Sylvia Lee
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2004, 3:27 am

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2004, 2:12 pm

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2004, 9:42 pm

Postby Sylvia Lee » July 26th, 2004, 9:34 pm

Take my voice and let me sing always only for my King.
Take my lips, and let them be filled with messages from thee.
Take my hands and let them move at the impulse of thy love.
Take my feet and let them be swift and beautiful for thee.
Sylvia Lee
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » July 26th, 2004, 9:46 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Re: parsing the Sentence of Life

Postby Colleen » July 27th, 2004, 10:10 pm

Hi Sylvia,

I'm going to tie a quote from another author with your quote from St. Patrick to take this topic to a new part of speech.

This is from Eugene Peterson in a publication called "Context." I found the quote in an essay by Margie Haack in "Notes from Toad Hall."

"First, Christian spirituality, the contemplative life, is not about us. It is about God... Christian spirituality is not a life-project for becoming a better person. It is not about developing a so-called deeper life. We are in on it, to be sure, but we are not the subject. Nor are we the action. We get included by means of a few prepositions: God with us... Christ in me... God for us. With, in, for: They are powerful, connecting, relation-forming words, but none of them makes us either the subject or the predicate. We are the tag-end of a prepositional phrase.

"Sooner or later in this life we get invited or commanded to do something. But in that doing, we never become the subject of the Christian life nor do we perform the action of the Christian life. We are invited or commanded into what I call prepositional participation. The prepositions that join us to God and God's action in us within the world--the with, the in, the for--are very important, but they are essentially a matter of the ways and means of being in on and participating in what God is doing."

And, your signature from St. Patrick reads, "Christ with me. Christ before me. Christ behind me. Christ within me. Christ with the soldier. Christ with the traveler. Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me. Christ in every eye that sees me. Christ in every ear that hears me." Exactly.

Essentially, a prepositional phrase is an adjective, if I'm thinking about it correctly. It modifies a subject or predicate, doesn't it? "Sylvia in the blue sweater..." or "Jo is sitting on the fence." So Lewis and Peterson would agree, though I find it more clear to think of myself as the "tag-end of a prepositional phrase" than as an adjective that modifies God.

Thanks for posting the quote. I'll remember you when I read Problem of Pain someday. :)

In grace,
Colleen

Margie Haack's web site: http://ransomfellowship.org/[/url]
Colleen
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » July 27th, 2004, 11:17 pm

I definitely agree that "forward" is key to understanding movement in the Kingdom of God. I do not believe that it means the same as progress, speaking of how we view things from a modern perspective. We can fail forward in the Kingdom of God, even when it may look like moving backward from a human perspective (e.g. the anonymous saints of Hebrews 11 or the story of Jim and Elizabeth Elliot).

Postby Guest » August 1st, 2004, 7:55 pm

All this preoccupation we humans have with ourselves can be tiresome, don't you think? Even when we talk about a diminished role in the scheme of existence we are still focused on "our" role.

The idea of self and fulfilling self may be a distraction from our true purpose, which is what I get from this discussion. Our beauty, and I do think we have it, is not in our "selfhood" so much as in our humanity, to the degree that it has a piece of God in it. We can practice love, as God and Christ do. We cannot practice it perfectly, like them, but we can do it a little bit. Our achievement is in escaping the self, not in fulfilling it.

Return to Apologetics & Other Works