This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Great Divorce

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

The Great Divorce

Postby Lori » September 13th, 2005, 11:30 pm

Lori

The Great Divorce

Postby Paul F. Ford » September 14th, 2005, 2:06 am

This is the first Lewis book I ever read (42 years ago, when I was 16) and it remains my favorite. It gave and gives me hope.

I commend it to you.

[signed]
Paul F. Ford
(author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia )
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » September 14th, 2005, 2:09 am

The Great Divorce is my favourite. Buy it by all means. It's hard to compare it to his apologetics, because it's a story.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » September 14th, 2005, 3:29 pm

The Great Divorce is also one of my favorite, a book which I have reread several times, and I always finds something new and exciting.
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » September 14th, 2005, 9:04 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » September 15th, 2005, 7:34 am

I loved The Great Divorce-- the first time I read it was in high school and then again for a college C. S. Lewis course. The idea of the bus trip to heaven for lost souls was fascinating. And with George MacDonald as Lewis' guide (be sure to read many of his books to get a picture of someone who thought so much like Lewis) this really puts the real world in perspective. I think that it compares very well with Mere Christianity and expresses in a story many of the ideas (especially of the Christian life) in that book.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Lori » September 21st, 2005, 1:53 am

Thanks everyone,

I've started "The Great Divorce" today. Love it already, but there's one line in it that I don't understand so far..on page 36 (I get frustrated when something's not clarified for me)..anyway, the quote is about sins of the intellect: "There is hide-bound prejudice, and intellectual dishonesty, and timidity, and stagnation.." What is meant by timidity and stagnation? How is this related to sins of the intellect? That's what I don't understand.

-Lori
Lori

Postby Larry W. » September 21st, 2005, 10:11 am

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Lori » September 22nd, 2005, 1:18 am

Lori

Postby john » September 22nd, 2005, 7:00 am

Hey, folks. This discussion has moved beyond the limits of the "Question & Answer" forum, so I'm going to move it to where it belongs and shadow it here.

Sorry, Lori, but that would mean you'll need to register to continue. I hope that's not a problem.
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » September 23rd, 2005, 12:24 am

Larry W.
Wardrobian

re: The Great Divorce

Postby Tony » September 29th, 2005, 9:12 pm

"The Church is the natural home of the Human Spirit."
-Hilaire Belloc
Tony
Wardrobian

re: The Great Divorce

Postby Riana » October 29th, 2005, 3:55 am

The Great Divorce was a fantastic book that exposed many of the illogical arguments of non-believers. But the Bible states clearly that at least part of Hell is a place of fire and pain and eternal torment. As much as I don't like that idea, (and would have done things differently if it were up to me), we have to accept on Faith that such a place exists and that God is right and just in His judgements (which, of course, He is!). The description of Hell in the Great Divorce is not at all like that.
Riana Readontris

Those who look most towards the next world tend to do the most (for our Lord) in this one. CS Lewis
Riana
Wardrobian

Re: re: The Great Divorce

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 29th, 2005, 3:09 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

re: The Great Divorce: ENDING DISCUSSED!!

Postby Ahutchga1972 » November 8th, 2005, 4:43 am

I admit I'm a little confused? I finished the Great Divorce tonight, and I thought it was great. But I'm confused about the ending!
Was the guy sick? Dead? Dying? Suicided? Or what? It happened so quickly in the book, that I caught my breath, reread the passage, and STILL couldn't figure it out!

Thanks!
:)
Ahutchga1972
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Apologetics & Other Works