This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

White founts falling in the Courts of the sun ...

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

White founts falling in the Courts of the sun ...

Postby Abdul Alhazred » November 4th, 2005, 12:39 pm

Chesterton's Lepanto.

George Orwell, who I respect above all critics, called it bombast.

But I love it. What do you say?

http://www.dur.ac.uk/martin.ward/gkc/books/lepanto.html
Abdul Alhazred

re: White founts falling in the Courts of the sun ...

Postby sehoy » November 4th, 2005, 12:57 pm

Never forget Lepanto!
cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby The Bigsleep J » November 4th, 2005, 1:01 pm

I'm a big fan of Chesterton although I haven't devoted as much time to his poetry as I would have liked to. What I have read of Lepanto was amazing and fascinating. Chesterton was certainly a good poet.

PS: Strictly speaking, this would also come under "Books and Films". ;) :bogart:
Insert supposedly witty but random absurd comment here and add water
The Bigsleep J
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » November 4th, 2005, 2:04 pm

[see more below image]

The Rest of the Story:

On October 7, 1571, a great victory over the mighty Turkish fleet was won by Catholic naval forces primarily from Spain, Venice, and Genoa under the command of Don Juan of Austria. It was the last battle at sea between "oared" ships, which featured the most powerful navy in the world, a Moslem force with between 12,000 to 15,000 Christian slaves as rowers. The patchwork team of Catholic ships was powered by the Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Knowing that the Christian forces were at a distinct material disadvantage, the holy pontiff, St. Pope Pius V called for all of Europe to pray the Rosary for victory. We know today that the victory was decisive, prevented the Islamic invasion of Europe, and evidenced the Hand of God working through Our Lady. At the hour of victory, St. Pope Pius V, who was hundreds of miles away at the Vatican, is said to have gotten up from a meeting, went over to a window, and exclaimed with supernatural radiance: "The Christian fleet is victorious!" and shed tears of thanksgiving to God.

What you may not know is that one of three admirals commanding the Catholic forces at Lepanto was Andrea Doria. He carried a small copy of Mexico's Our Lady of Guadalupe into battle. This image is now enshrined in the Church of San Stefano in Aveto, Italy. Not many know that at the Monastery of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Spain, one can view a huge warship lantern that was captured from the Moslems in the Battle of Lepanto. In Rome, look up to the ceiling of S. Maria in Aracoeli and behold decorations in gold taken from the Turkish galleys. In the Doges' Palace in Venice, Italy, one can witness a giant Islamic flag that is now a trophy from a vanquished Turkish ship from the Victory. At Saint Mary Major Basilica in Rome, close to the tomb of the great St. Pope Pius V, one was once able to view yet another Islamic flag from the Battle, until 1965, when it was returned to Istanbul in an intended friendly token of concord.

The Rosary

At Lepanto, the Victory over the Moslems was won by the faithful praying the Rosary. Even though they had superior numbers, the Turks really were overmatched. Blessed Padre Pio, the Spiritual Father of the Blue Army, said: "The Rosary is the weapon," and how right he was!

The Battle of Lepanto was at first celebrated liturgically as "Our Lady of Victory." Later, the feast of October 7th was renamed "Our Lady of the Rosary" and extended throughout the Universal Church by Pope Clement XI in 1716 (who canonized Pope Pius V in 1712).

And with that we are back to Fatima, Portugal where Our Lady, when asked her name, said: "I am the Lady of the Rosary." At Fatima, Our Lady taught us to pray the Rosary every day. Heaven presented its peace plan at Fatima and truly gave us hope for the world. Conversions were promised at Fatima: the conversion of sinners; the conversion of Russia; and what also appears to be the conversion of Islam. Our Lady of the Rosary, pray for us!
cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby Sarah N. » November 14th, 2005, 4:43 am

I liked Lepanto. I was disapointed by how short it was though. After I read The Ballad of the White Horse which I would recommend to anyone, I heard he had written another "long" poem. I was dissapointed that it is only 7 pages long in the version that I have. BTWH is much longer, and I liked it better. Lepanto has very clean, metrical verse. Very methodical in a way. Lots of lovely images, like the title of the post, as well. It is metrical and forceful in its pace and voice, but I wouldn't call it bombastic. It is difficult to imagine a battle poem being timid, or whatever the opposite of bombastic is.
Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby Inariae » September 19th, 2006, 10:41 pm

I think it's glorious. The very phrase, even removed from its context, is deeply resonant to me. The sound and cadence of it is important, I think. It does not evoke an image so much as a flash of imagined brilliance in the back of my mind. And I was never even taught how to read poetry, so it must be that much more beautiful if you can catch the nuances of the meter and such.

So yeah - I really loved it too!
Inariae
Wardrobian

Postby Mornche Geddick » June 1st, 2008, 5:10 pm

Mornche Geddick
Wardrobian

Return to Apologetics & Other Works