This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Question about Miracles

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Question about Miracles

Postby Guest » July 30th, 2004, 9:43 pm

Has anyone read the Book "Miracles"? I've been trying to read it- but I keep getting stuck. Any advice?
~Spamgirl

Re: Question about Miracles

Postby Leslie » July 30th, 2004, 9:54 pm

I've read it several times. What kind of advice do you need? If you're having trouble understanding it, we may be able to help, if you can tell us where you're stuck.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » August 3rd, 2004, 4:42 am

I've just finished it. I just disciplined myself to read a certain amount every day. I also had to keep a dictionary around and kept a notebook with the words I didn't understand. Some difficult parts I would read over again. I found parts that were great to meditate upon. Remember like any difficult book the next time you read it you will understand it better. Of the Lewis books I've read it's probably the most technical, but it's good to read things that push you a bit. Also, pray and ask God to use it for His glory. Hope that helps.

Postby Kanakaberaka » August 16th, 2004, 5:27 am

so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » August 21st, 2004, 1:08 am

I have found the most difficult to read is his Study in Words, or his Experiment in Criticism. Both make fine distinctions of their subject matter, making them simliar to reading a scholarly journal.
[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » September 6th, 2004, 4:17 am

Postby loeee » September 7th, 2004, 5:15 pm

The biggest problem I have with Lewis's scholarly (as opposed to popular) works is his habit of putting in quotes in Greek and Latin. The Greek is the worst for me, because even the alphabet is foreign. Some editions translate in footnotes, which is a huge help. A classical education must be a wonderful thing, too bad nobody has one anymore. :\
"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » September 7th, 2004, 5:42 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby a_hnau » September 7th, 2004, 8:18 pm

Oh! I quite agree; I try to read anything of Lewis's I can get my hands on, but in some of his work the only part of it I can grasp is his style - I am not familiar with, or haven't even heard of, some of the people, the literature, that he treats with such skill and precision. I do try and puzzle out bits of the foreign languages, though. A favourite quote, from That Hideous Strength;

Jane, though she had a smattering of Latin, had not understood their conversation. The accent was unfamiliar, and the old druid used vocabulary that was far beyond her reading - the Latin of a man to whom Apuleius and Martianus Capella were the primary classics and whose elegances resembled those of the Hisperica Famina. But Dimble had followed it.

I know I harp on about this, but the elderly gentleman I visit (who was a pupil of Lewis at Oxford in the 30's) represents a "dinosaur" - he is, I imagine, much as Lewis also was.

But Lewis is a way in to appreciation of the classics - for me, wanting to know even a fraction of what Lewis had at his fingertips is sufficient motive to dig deeper. I think it's in Screwtape, Lewis refers to the experience of a schoolboy who has heard bright tales of Troy, but now has to "buckle down" and start his lessons in Homer...
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » December 6th, 2004, 3:58 pm

I struggled with Miracles as well. But my big issue is with some of the essays in Christian Reflections. I bought the book for one essay, The Poison of Subjectivism. I am yet to read it completely due to it's structure. And, the sad thing is, the subjective nature of the church today makes it a subject I am intensily interested in.
Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Return to Apologetics & Other Works