This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

purgatory

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

purgatory

Postby chad » November 29th, 2005, 8:41 pm

chad
Wardrobian

re: purgatory

Postby chad » November 30th, 2005, 7:28 am

And my reason for asking is because a purgatory like what Lewis speaks of in the Great Divorce and some of his other writings would completely change our understanding of trials and self-denial in this life. If Lewis is saying what I think he is saying, then the sufferings of this life, the good deeds of love in which we are required to practice self-denial, are all collectively working together as a practise for when we step into death and must learn to lay aside our selves (selves in the sense that we live by the principle 'I am my own', to quote MacDonald) finally and irrevocably. Perhaps like a bride rehearsing the walk down the aisle. When we step over the threshold of death and must go through with the wedding ceremony, becoming one at last with our Husband, we should hope to be well practised in resolute self-denial (which I see to be embodied in a vow like "I do"). I hope that clarifies my curiosity. Any insights, disagreements or whatever are welcomed. Thanks. And by the way I'm new to the forum so forgive me if this question is out of place and completely uninteresting.
chad
Wardrobian

Postby chad » December 3rd, 2005, 8:05 am

I'll sell anyone ten years indulgences for a good price if they post a reply. Or maybe I'll give you a sandwich.
chad
Wardrobian

Postby jbc003 » December 3rd, 2005, 11:20 am

This is what I think about the matter of Purgatory, and at least to me it makes logical sense.

I know that absolutely nothing that is not perfect can be in Heaven, since Heaven is perfect if a bunch of imperfect beings with sins still attached to them were wandering around it would not be Heaven. There is such an emnity between God and sin you see that it just wouldn't do.

So where does that leave all us imperfect folks who are still in some way clininging to our sinfulness? We certainly have been redeemed by Christ, and if we die in the state of grace we know we are headed to heaven, but what has to happen before we get there? That is the key question.

This is where purgatory comes in. Its where the last remenants of the bad stuff are done away with. It really is a mercy, because lets be honest most of us die with some attachment to sin.

Certainly indulgences may help you with that, but as for selling them I wouldn't advise it, that would be a sin and that is certainly never a good thing.

- JBC
jbc003

Postby Steve » December 3rd, 2005, 9:43 pm

Steve
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » December 4th, 2005, 5:52 am

I do not believe in purgatory, personally, and it always seemed kind of off-the-wall to me, until I read Lewis' commentary on it in the last part of Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer. While I still don't totally agree with him, he really opened up his view so that I could understand it. It made sense. I was like, wow, this is neat! I can understand how people believe this.

So I'd highly recommend that, if you're looking for more understanding of what Lewis believed.
"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby chad » December 5th, 2005, 6:57 am

chad
Wardrobian

Re: re: purgatory

Postby Stylteralmaldo » December 31st, 2005, 8:54 pm

...[God] uses material things like bread and wine to put new life into us. We may think that rather crude and unspiritual. God does not: He invented eating. He likes matter. He invented it. - CS Lewis...Mere Christianity
Stylteralmaldo
Wardrobian

Postby No Inkling » February 3rd, 2006, 1:20 am

No Inkling

Postby Carpe Diem » February 5th, 2006, 6:58 pm

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17
Carpe Diem
Wardrobian

Postby No Inkling » February 6th, 2006, 1:47 pm

No Inkling

Postby Stylteralmaldo » February 9th, 2006, 12:42 am

...[God] uses material things like bread and wine to put new life into us. We may think that rather crude and unspiritual. God does not: He invented eating. He likes matter. He invented it. - CS Lewis...Mere Christianity
Stylteralmaldo
Wardrobian

Postby *~Diamond in the Rough~* » February 9th, 2006, 2:21 am

Today I went to IKEA and hid in the wardrobes, and every time someone opened the doors I welcomed them to Narnia!!
*~Diamond in the Rough~*
Wardrobian

Location: The corner of 'No and where' (WA) The REAL Washington

Postby Monica » February 9th, 2006, 3:09 pm

Monica
Wardrobian

Postby *~Diamond in the Rough~* » February 9th, 2006, 3:37 pm

Today I went to IKEA and hid in the wardrobes, and every time someone opened the doors I welcomed them to Narnia!!
*~Diamond in the Rough~*
Wardrobian

Location: The corner of 'No and where' (WA) The REAL Washington

Next

Return to Apologetics & Other Works