This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Apologists needed

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Apologists needed

Postby Roonwit » February 13th, 2006, 7:12 pm

The moral of the story is not to listen to those who tell you not to play the violin but stick to the tambourine.
-- Jose Mourinho

Member of the 2456317 Club
Roonwit
Wardrobian

re: Apologists needed

Postby Theo » February 13th, 2006, 8:44 pm

I assume you're talking about specifically Christian apologists? Or even more specific?
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby Roonwit » February 13th, 2006, 9:30 pm

Yep... sorry for being vague... Christian Apologists... I have now grown the reader to include Augustine and Anselm as well...
The moral of the story is not to listen to those who tell you not to play the violin but stick to the tambourine.
-- Jose Mourinho

Member of the 2456317 Club
Roonwit
Wardrobian

Postby paladin » February 14th, 2006, 1:01 am

paladin

Re: re: Apologists needed

Postby Tony » February 14th, 2006, 1:40 am

"The Church is the natural home of the Human Spirit."
-Hilaire Belloc
Tony
Wardrobian

Postby YHWH_is_Semper_Fi » February 14th, 2006, 1:46 am

Two other excellent apologists whom I have both read and had the privalige to meet and hear in person are Ravi Zacharias and Josh McDowel. Also, check out , which I found useful in my study of the subject back when I was in highschool.[/url]
"...If I am inclined to doubt, steady my faith; if I am tempted, make me strong to resist; if I should miss the mark, give me courage to try again. Guide me with the light of truth and keep before me the life of Him by whose example and help I trust to obtain the answer to my prayer, Jesus Christ, our Lord, Amen."
---Midshipman's Prayer

Member of the 2456317 club
YHWH_is_Semper_Fi
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » February 14th, 2006, 3:07 am

Francis Schaeffer. Deffinately Francis Schaeffer, although I confess that, as I am just now getting into his books, I may not be able to suggest which of his books would be the best to include. I think the three essentials (which I have read) would be The God Who is There, Escape From Reason, and He is There and He is Not Silent. They are available seperately or in one volume entitled Trilogy.
Esther
Wardrobian

Postby paladin » February 15th, 2006, 5:14 pm

paladin

Postby Paul F. Ford » February 19th, 2006, 6:36 pm

Don't forget Peter Kreeft:
Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Re: re: Apologists needed

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » February 20th, 2006, 6:00 pm

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Carlko » May 21st, 2006, 2:48 am

I've been studying apologetics for many years now - it's the main Christian topic in which I've been interested.

I would like to suggest that you include Reformed apologetics in your study. The best introductory book is Apologetics to the Glory of God by John Frame.

Frame was a student of Cornelius Van Til, who also taught Frances Schaeffer. I wouldn't recommend Van Til as a starter as he gets very complex - he writes for those with some knowledge of philosophy and theology. If you get through AGG and like it, Frame has the best book on Van Til and that would serve as a good introduction to Van Til and presuppositional apologetics. If you survive that one, you might try Bahnsen's book on Van Til, which has a lot more detail than Frame but I believe is also too uncritical of the flaws in Van Til. But he quotes extensively from Van Til's work and has some good commentary with it so you would get a lot of exposure to Van Til's writing.
Carlko

Postby David » May 21st, 2006, 2:08 pm

The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby chad » June 20th, 2006, 9:46 am

chad
Wardrobian

Postby Guinea-Pig » July 8th, 2006, 1:35 am

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."
-C. S. Lewis
Guinea-Pig
Wardrobian

Postby Guinea-Pig » July 8th, 2006, 1:40 am

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."
-C. S. Lewis
Guinea-Pig
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Apologetics & Other Works