This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

the Great Divorce .. not really fond

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

re: the Great Divorce .. not really fond

Postby Biff » May 2nd, 2006, 12:19 am

"With hindsight perhaps it wasn't a good idea, oh well must be my hind cataracts..." Prof H.J. Farnsworth

"It was not for nothing that you are called Ransom" said the Voice..
Biff
Wardrobian

Postby Enyalie » May 16th, 2006, 9:59 am

“He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart”

-C.S. Lewis
Enyalie
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » May 18th, 2006, 4:45 am

I find that I like TGD more the second time around than the first time I read it - especially, I think, habing paid more attention to the Preface which, in this case actually contains important information.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing a movie made out of this.
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby Rosie Cotton » May 18th, 2006, 7:23 am

... and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.
Rosie Cotton
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » May 18th, 2006, 7:54 am

I dunno. What was that popular movie about people "doing lunch" in a cafe? In fact, Cheers didn't have much of a plot through most of it's history and it was one of the most popular TV programs in the history of the media.

It would be all in the quality of the acting. All they'd have to do is have Sir Anthony Hopkins play one of the main parts.
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby Rosie Cotton » May 18th, 2006, 8:07 am

... and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.
Rosie Cotton
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » May 18th, 2006, 8:10 am

WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Re: re: the Great Divorce .. not really fond

Postby soul101 » May 18th, 2006, 10:34 am

soul101
Wardrobian

Postby carol » May 18th, 2006, 11:01 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » May 18th, 2006, 12:13 pm

I have always liked The Great Divorce. The idea of lost souls taken to heaven on a bus trip and given a chance to alter their lifestyle has always intrigued me. For better or worse, human beings always get what they want. I would rate it as one of Lewis' best books. Interestingly enough, I read somewhere that Lewis began to believe in Jesus as the son of God while he was travelling on a bus. I don't know if that setting helped him in his clarity of thinking, but one wonders if reflecting on the experience may have suggested some ideas for The Great Divorce. Of course, unlike Lewis the people in that rejected the call to be saved on their journey.

My least favorite is The Pilgrim's Regress. I liked some of the ideas in that book (especially a person on a journey searching for God), but the references in the book are tedious, and as a whole the story is not so well planned as his other books. It is kind of an imitation of Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress (athough his faith goes in reverse as he searches), but it doesn't work very well because much of the story is groping instead of maturing as a Christian-- not overcoming the odds with God's help as Bunyan did. But at that time Lewis was younger and a less experienced Christian author.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » May 18th, 2006, 12:46 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby The Bigsleep J » May 18th, 2006, 1:15 pm

I recently saw an art-house movie called Russian Ark which consists of a 90 minute long unbroken Point-of-view shot of an unnamed character (most likely the movie director, who provides the voice for the person's whose eyes we see through) who wanders through the Hermitage in St Petersburg, seeing some great works of art and historical events from Imperial Russia. Since seeing the movie I more or less considered that the only way to make a movie of The Great Divorce is to make it like Russian Ark, only it would most likely be all CGI, though it doesn't have to be photorealistic, just effective (the visual possibilities are endless).
Insert supposedly witty but random absurd comment here and add water
The Bigsleep J
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » May 18th, 2006, 9:37 pm

But Carol, have you seen him in Instinct, The Edge, or Hearts in Atlantis?

Stanley, I would like to see that - maybe it'll come to the Alabama Shakespeare Theater sometime.
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » May 18th, 2006, 10:41 pm

"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » May 19th, 2006, 4:01 am

Ooch! Don't put too much weight there - the grass, y'know......
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Apologetics & Other Works