This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Till We Have Faces -- is it Christian? (Contains Spoilers)

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Welcome to the 'Drobe!

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2004, 10:48 pm

Hope you have a pleasant stay here in the War Drobe, Spare Oom.

Re: Till We Have Faces -- is it Christian?

Postby Guest » December 27th, 2004, 4:29 pm

Steve,

TWHF is my favorite Lewis book and I have been disturbed by this same question many times. I've reccomended the book to my oldest and wisest Christian friends, who are very conservative, and they all think that it is a "Christian" book. I think so also. Although a person probably would not come to faith in Christ from reading this book alone, Orual's sins are exposed and her she admits her need for forgiveness and redemption.

The best part of the book is when Orual reads her complaint to the gods.

Re: Welcome, Vikingmaiden

Postby Solomons Song » December 28th, 2004, 6:26 pm

Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » January 5th, 2005, 3:10 am

I will have to beg forgiveness for a tremendous amount of ignorance regarding Lewis and his works. I have read (and as a child had read to me) the Chronicles of Narnia somewhere upwards of 10 times, but am only truly beginning to explore his other works. I am currently enraptured by the Space Trilogy which has brought me to this and a number of other C.S.Lewis related sites. In my wanderings (don't ask me where) I read something that Lewis had said in response to questions about the "christianness"of his writings.
The gist of it was that he would like to see more works of fiction in which christian values and concepts were presented in a form that was not necessarily immediately identifiable as such. Wishy washy as that may sound - his point was that if we could somehow take the reader for even a breif stay to a place where christian values and morals were the accepted norm, and take him there in such a way as to convince him that these are normal healthy values, then maybe he will leave the book still holding those values as a normal healthy thing.
So much of his writing is brilliant allegory that there is a temptation to interpret all of it as such. Isn't there a possibility that he was writing a brilliant story (even a morality play of sorts) without any intention of leaning toward the allegorical?

Postby Bill » January 5th, 2005, 1:38 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby loeee » January 5th, 2005, 7:31 pm

"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » January 5th, 2005, 9:41 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » January 5th, 2005, 10:12 pm

Postby Brian_Burgess » January 16th, 2005, 12:59 am

I picked up on many Christian themes when I read Till We Have Faces a few years ago. The Christian theme that stands out most to me in this book is in the title and in the fact that the heroine was unattractive and always wore a mask. This theme was very similar to Lewis's discussion of the Beauty and the Beast myth in Mere Christianity.

This discussion has compelled me to give it another read.

Take care,

Brian
Brian_Burgess
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » January 18th, 2005, 1:25 pm

Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 18th, 2005, 5:06 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » January 20th, 2005, 12:53 am

Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » March 17th, 2005, 3:50 pm

Till We Have Faces;

Postby splashen » April 29th, 2008, 1:19 am

My POV of Lewis' writing of "Till We Have Faces," was that it was still a pagan myth, but, with Lewis adding his own spin on the story, in order to show the individual's own spiritual struggle, over the loss of a loved one.

I also believe that was his intention for cutting Susan Pevensie loose, in the the final book of the Chronicles of Narnia.

I think he intended to keep her for a post Narnia story(stories)about struggling to rediscover one's faith, after personal tragedy, but, died before writing the story.

(The reason I believe this is because apparently when young fans of the series wrote to him upset with his decision to write Susan off as "No longer of friend of Narnia," was because "Susan's story isn't finished yet.")
splashen
Wardrobian

Postby gameld » April 29th, 2008, 1:55 pm

keeping with the idea that lewis thoroghly believed that all myths conatained the 'kernel' of the actual Truth, i've always thought that twhf was how he explained how a pre-Christ gentile could still come to an understanding and even salvation faith in the redeemer, Christ. in other words, he was answering the question, "what about the kid in africa who has never heard about Jesus? is he screwed because of an accident of birth?" what i thought, long before twhf and reinforced by it with a clear example, was that God knows what a person is capable of understanding and judges them based on that, not on whether or not the were born at the right time to hear the right name. here lewis shows that such a person could come to understand their need for forgiveness, that their claims against the gods/God of the universe is incorrect, and that they must turn in faith to the gods/God for salvation.

does this make sense to everyone?
gameld
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Apologetics & Other Works