This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Miracles

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Miracles

Postby Lori » June 4th, 2006, 1:03 am

Can someone please fill me in about Miracles please. I've read a few others of Lewis, but want to know how it compares with [i]Problem of Pain andMere Christianity. Thanks! [/i][/url]
"Human will becomes truly creative and truly our own when it is wholly God's, and this is one of the many senses in which he that loses his soul shall find it."
Lori
Wardrobian

re: Miracles

Postby Leslie » June 4th, 2006, 11:39 am

Basically, Miracles presents arguments against naturalism, which claims that miracles are intrinsically impossible. Lewis argues that there is no reason to think that God cannot or does not act directly in our world.

On what basis do you want to compare it to The Problem of Pain and Mere Christianity? I think Miracles requires a little more effort from the reader than MC to follow the arguments--is this the type of comparison you want?

The best way to find out about the book, of course, is to read it! :read: :smile:
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » June 4th, 2006, 12:22 pm

Moved to Apologetics & Other Works forum.

Welcome, Lori!
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby rusmeister » June 13th, 2006, 10:00 am

Yes, Miracles is heavier reading than STL or MC. This is probably why it doesn't have the big sales of those two. You have to pay attention and think a little more. But it's worth it!
Also, Miracles has plenty of challenges to atheist logic as extensions of the logic supporting miracles.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Lori » June 21st, 2006, 2:00 am

"Human will becomes truly creative and truly our own when it is wholly God's, and this is one of the many senses in which he that loses his soul shall find it."
Lori
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » June 21st, 2006, 2:44 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » June 21st, 2006, 3:42 am

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Re: re: Miracles

Postby JSD » June 21st, 2006, 4:27 am

JSD
Wardrobian

Re: re: Miracles

Postby contra mundum » June 23rd, 2006, 2:35 pm

“Doubt no longer, then, when you see death mocked and scorned by those who believe in Christ, that by Christ death was destroyed . . .”

Athanasius
contra mundum
Wardrobian

Postby Lori » January 6th, 2007, 3:10 am

Thankyou all -

sorry it's been so long since I've replied to your helpful responses.
My friend actually became a Christian, through the help of her then-boyfriend, a few months ago.
She recently told me that God placed so many Christians around her, that she finally 'got it' one day, and is such a different person.

Thanks for your responses, and I'm sure they will atleast help me in some other way!
Lori
Wardrobian

Return to Apologetics & Other Works