This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Trouble with 'X': what do you get out of it?

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Trouble with 'X': what do you get out of it?

Postby Sylvia Lee » August 2nd, 2006, 3:41 am

Moderator Edit: Link removed for copyright concerns.

I have linked Lewis' essay, The Trouble with 'X' above for easy referencing.

When I first read this essay three years ago, my boyfriend "Greg" had just broken up with me and I was having a really hard time accepting the fact that although we were still good friends he didn't want anything more from the relationship, while I still felt like he was perfect for me and harbored secret hopes that we might someday get back together (whew! How's that for a run-on-sentence). Anyway, I read this essay as a class assignment and it couldn't have been better timed for me. What stuck out to me most at the time was that, I can't change other people. I realized at that point that no amount of praying or begging or flattery would cause Greg to "come around" if that was not what he wanted. I was finally able (though reluctantly) to finally let him go.

A year and a half later the same counsel I received back then helped me to determine whether I should accept another young man's proposal of marriage, and eighteen months later I do not regret my choice. We have a wonderful marriage based on acceptance of each other's faults and weaknesses and our own self-improvement with the (solicited) help and support of the other party.

This is a wonderful essay of Lewis', because no matter what point in our lives we are currently at, one can always find wisdom and inspiration in its paragraphs.
Take my voice and let me sing always only for my King.
Take my lips, and let them be filled with messages from thee.
Take my hands and let them move at the impulse of thy love.
Take my feet and let them be swift and beautiful for thee.
Sylvia Lee
Wardrobian

Re: Trouble with 'X': what do you get out of it?

Postby Stanley Anderson » August 2nd, 2006, 2:26 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

re: Trouble with 'X': what do you get out of it?

Postby mgton » August 2nd, 2006, 6:26 pm

mgton
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » August 2nd, 2006, 7:26 pm

Sorry, Sylvia, but I removed your link. A link to a complete essay posted online in violation of copyright can get the estate annoyed at us.
Sven

Postby David » August 2nd, 2006, 9:08 pm

The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

The Trouble with 'X' Reply

Postby katejohnson77 » April 1st, 2007, 7:05 pm

I liked how he gave us a way for progress. He depicted the two ways in which God's view differs from ours. He see's all the characters, including me. And also, He loves the people in spite of what he knows about them.

He said that we can make progress if we can imitate these two views as we see God doing. We know that not just the 'others' have these flaws which all our hopes are wrecked upon, but I also have flaws that their hopes are wrecked upon. And loving inspite of this, both our neighbor and ourselves. Knowing that God loves us and thus teaches us how to properly love unconditionally.

It is an all time great essay, to be for certain.
Kate
katejohnson77

Return to Apologetics & Other Works