This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

A Problem with a Passage in The Great Divorce

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

re: A Problem with a Passage in The Great Divorce

Postby rusmeister » October 13th, 2006, 9:40 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » October 13th, 2006, 9:53 am

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Danny » October 14th, 2006, 3:17 am

If every sin is first a sin against God, then why is it incredible to believe that in God's eyes the murderer and the hater are equally culpable? That is not to say the external consequences are equal; though the consequences to the soul well may be. Being guilty of the judgment, according to Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, depends not on one's ability to make amends but on the heart. While there is certainly place for making amends, if my reconciliation to God depends upon my amendments to all those I've wronged, I would have every reason to despair.
Danny
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » October 14th, 2006, 11:53 am

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Re: re: A Problem with a Passage in The Great Divorce

Postby Karen » October 14th, 2006, 12:43 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » October 15th, 2006, 2:48 am

I think you're right, JD. committing a murder IS worse than simply thinking about it. If you get angry enough and think about killing someone one evening, that is decidedly not as bad as actually doing it. An actual murder is worse for the victim, most particularly, but it is also a step further and deeper than merely thinking about it.

Except for one thing - the point Lewis was making is that the spiritual damage done to the one that commits a sin over a lifetime is worse than one committed in the heat of a moment.

If that doesn't make sense, better call Stanley in. :smile:
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » October 15th, 2006, 6:01 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby gameld » November 2nd, 2006, 3:19 am

gameld
Wardrobian

Two Cents

Postby lewisfan » November 7th, 2006, 12:57 am

lewisfan
Wardrobian

Murder or Hate

Postby Bnayqyama » March 6th, 2007, 4:13 am

Lewis' point, it seems to me, is that although murder is an egregious evil, from the perspective of eternity it does less damage than lifelong hatred.

The murderer knows s/he has done wrong, and can receive mercy; moreover, the murdered is still an immortal.

The hater does not know s/he has done wrong, and will not turn (repent), not be forgiven and not begin the "treatment" -- transformation.

The secret is in the animal vs. diabolical sins in MC: the animal sins are bodily and therefore objective; there is no sense hiding them. The diabolical sins are hidden in the depths of the human person, not apparent to the person, therefore not likely to stimulate true repentance and begin the treatment.
Bnayqyama
Wardrobian

Postby 1marian » March 9th, 2007, 10:47 pm

some people simply think that since they didn't murder anyone or they don't use to steal things, they are unsinful.
they are wrong
because whoever keeps in heart the anger or bitterness on someone, keeps the sin in his heart:
see also Mattheu 5,22a: "But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment."
and 1 John 3,15: "Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life in him."
(New International Translation from Bibleserver.com)
1marian
Wardrobian

Murder

Postby katejohnson77 » April 1st, 2007, 6:54 pm

katejohnson77

Postby Sven » April 1st, 2007, 7:02 pm

Welcome, Kate!
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby 1marian » April 11th, 2007, 8:13 pm

1marian
Wardrobian

Postby carol » April 16th, 2007, 4:56 am

I agree with those who've expressed the view that it the spiritual effect on the sinner that Lewis was looking at here. Of course in the physical world it is worse to murder than to think about it. There will be people who expect to go to heaven because they have not committed dreadful crimes, but whose unforgiveness and murderous attitude will put them into a different eternity than they had anticipated. They are going to be horrified - on a long-term basis!

It reminds me of a line used in the play of Shadowlands, where Jack says that he finds prayer doesn't so much change God, but changes himself.
carol
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Apologetics & Other Works