This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Question regarding The World's Last Night...

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Question regarding The World's Last Night...

Postby Solomons Song » October 16th, 2006, 8:23 pm

Are the essays found in this book to be found in any other compilation of Lewis' writings?
Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

re: Question regarding The World's Last Night...

Postby Sven » October 16th, 2006, 8:38 pm

They are, but they are in other just-as-hard-to-find collections including Fern-Seed and Elephants, Screwtape Proposes a Toast, and They Asked for a Paper.

A good alternative, if you don't mind buying from the UK, is . This hardback collection includes almost all of the short material he wrote. Even the short fiction. There are also two paperback volumes that are this book split. I don't think (not 100% sure) that any of them have ever been sold in the States new, though you might find them on the used book lists.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Leslie » October 16th, 2006, 9:45 pm

Sven, you've pointed out something that I find very annoying about the various editions of Lewis' essays. The "newer" collections such as The Weight of Glory and The World's Last Night turned out to have many of the same essays as earlier collections under other names. Thus, I now own multiple copies of the same essays. :sad: Do you think Walter Hooper does it on purpose ??
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » October 16th, 2006, 10:58 pm

There may have been good reasons to arrange them in various orders over the years. No real way to know. I do wish HarperCollins advertised the omnibus edition I mention above. It was a fluke that I even learned of its availability five years ago.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Return to Apologetics & Other Works