This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Christian Reflections vs The Seeing Eye

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Christian Reflections vs The Seeing Eye

Postby rusmeister » November 18th, 2006, 4:37 am

In comparing my edition of Christian Reflections (hardcover) and my paperback copy of The Seeing Eye, which are ostensibly supposed to be the same thing, I found one essay of Lewis's missing from the latter - "On Church Music".

Has anyone else ever noticed this? What could be the motive for removing one essay, particularly one that is so relevant to modern Christian life?
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » November 20th, 2006, 5:20 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » November 20th, 2006, 5:29 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » November 25th, 2006, 5:05 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » March 1st, 2007, 4:48 am

I just got my copy of The Seeing Eye Back (It was only gone for 8 months!). The sub-title is "and other selected essays from CR".

The copyright is the same (1967) but the publisher is officially Ballantine Books; "This edition published by arrangement with William B. Eerdman's Publishing Company.

Well and good, but again, my copy of CR has all of the essays but that one. :??:

If the original had all essays but that one, and that was the only essay excised, my question of why remains. Could it be that it is potentially the most controversial of the lot among Christians?

Has anyone else here ever read that essay?

Sven? Help, Mr. Wizard!
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby thousandthman » March 1st, 2007, 7:14 pm

You can find an except from the essay here:
http://www.worshipandchurchmusic.com/cslewis.html

I don't think Lewis liked Church music much, one of the few things he and I have agreed to disagree on. That, and John Betjeman.
thousandthman

Postby Sven » March 1st, 2007, 8:31 pm

I've read the essay, rusmeister, and don't know why the publisher left it out. My guess is that they didn't think it would be of interest to either an American readership or a modern readership.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby rusmeister » March 2nd, 2007, 9:06 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Return to Apologetics & Other Works