This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Narrative Poems

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Narrative Poems

Postby Rosie Cotton » December 17th, 2006, 5:51 am

Hubby and I went out of town for our anniversary Thursday,and stayed at a rather bookish inn; I was delighted to find a copy of Lewis' Narrative Poems in the room, which I'd never read. I got through Launcelot and part of Dymer.
Something in Walter Hooper's preface to the edition surprised me, though. He makes a comment to the effect that Lewis composed Surprised By Joy in poetry before writing it in prose. What is Hooper referring to? I'm sorry I don't have the direct quote -- unfortunately the bookstore below didn't have a copy I could purchase (all the better for John though, so I can buy the book thru this website).
Does anyone know what the heck Hooper was talking about?
... and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.
Rosie Cotton
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » December 17th, 2006, 1:28 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Leslie » December 18th, 2006, 12:55 am

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Rosie Cotton » December 18th, 2006, 8:36 pm

... and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.
Rosie Cotton
Wardrobian

Return to Apologetics & Other Works