This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Well Stanley...

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Well Stanley...

Postby Robert » January 14th, 2007, 11:04 pm

I have finally ordered the book of Lewis' you seem to quote more than any I know of, The Discarded Image. I should receive it sometime next week. Of all of his books, I am most anxious to read this one. Of all of the quotes I have read of his in this book that you've posted, it should be everything and more I am expecting.
[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » January 14th, 2007, 11:22 pm

I'm glad you qualified your first sentence with "of Lewis'", because we know that the book Stanley quotes most often is Brideshead Revisited. I do hope you have a copy of that as well....
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 15th, 2007, 8:41 pm

It's all wonderful stuff -- the chapters from "The Heavens" and onward having the most impact for me (though I love the earlier chapters too).

I had started a study of the book here a long while back, but had discontinued it at chapter V ("The Heavens") due to a general lack of activity (along with the fact that -- I think -- the OSP study was going to be starting and I didn't want to conflict with it).

I still have files of all the posts during that study. If there was interest, I could look into reposting, in possibly an installement manner over time, as though it was starting fresh, the pertinent parts of those original posts, allowing for new input, and then even possibly continuing on after chapter V where the old study left off.

But see what you think of the book first.

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » January 15th, 2007, 10:25 pm

Stanley. If I can get the book, I too would be very interested in this study.

ps. I googled the book (having never read it before) and found this related article. I don't know if it really has a lot to do with Lewis' work, but it was interesting to say the least.

http://www.d-n-i.net/lind/lind_1_27_04.htm
girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Postby ABC » January 16th, 2007, 2:50 am

Stanley, I didn't know you had begun a study of "The Discarded Image"! It's one of my favourites, and I've actually been trying to read "around" it for the past few months. If you could repost those discussions and continue the study, I'd be very glad.
ABC
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 16th, 2007, 3:50 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby ABC » January 17th, 2007, 1:56 am

ABC
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » January 17th, 2007, 3:58 pm

girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 17th, 2007, 4:40 pm

As I look over my archived posts from that earlier study, I realize that it is wouldn't be quite so easy to snip bits out -- there is a lot of "side discussion" going on that is integrated into the comments so that it would probably be easier for me to just review the posts and rewrite the main thoughts and possibly adding new ones -- basically just starting a study fresh.

One thing that I would keep from that study, if no one objects, is the rather slow progress. In the original, I only covered a couple or a few pages at a time, usually allowing a few days to a week between sections to allow for discussion of the current section. I didn't want to do a whole chapter at a time (as has been typical of other studies here) since, at least for me, there was simply too much to talk about and I tend to blank out in such cases. (that is how I would conduct a study of That Hideous Strength too -- one sub-section of a chapter at a time at most since practically every paragraph is packed with things to think about and potentially discuss)

So that might be a good thing for people afraid that it will bee too much to keep up with, and a bad thing for people who "want to get on with it" and wait impatiently for the next section to start (when Jo was doing something similar with LotR, she was already up to book two and a half or more while I was still only a third of the way through the prologue:-)

I'm thinking maybe a couple weeks to gather my thoughts together and get started? How does that sound? (I'd be glad to delay more if you need more time to get the book)
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » January 17th, 2007, 4:56 pm

girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » January 18th, 2007, 4:14 am

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 18th, 2007, 5:53 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » January 19th, 2007, 1:32 pm

I received it yesterday, so I am ready whenever.
[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » January 19th, 2007, 9:13 pm

How would telling people to be nice to one another get a man crucified? What government would execute Mister Rogers or Captain Kangaroo?
Philip Yancey

http://girlfreddy.wordpress.com/
girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » January 19th, 2007, 11:59 pm

I ordered the book in the fall, and it's still sitting untouched. :blush: Too many books, too little time! I've bought about 75 new books in the past year, and only read about a third so far.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Apologetics & Other Works