This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

N.T. Wright on Mere Christianity

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

N.T. Wright on Mere Christianity

Postby Guest » April 19th, 2007, 1:21 pm

Here's an interesting article I read with a review of Mere Christianity by Bishop N.T. Wright:

Postby Karen » April 19th, 2007, 1:44 pm

If you haven't already, read Wright's Simply Christian. It's in one sense a Mere Christianity for the 21st c., and he tries to address the places where, as he points out in the article, he feels Lewis is weak. It's a very good book.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » April 24th, 2007, 3:56 am

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » April 26th, 2007, 9:14 pm

Tom Wright has just come out with two new DVDs. Both are 50 minutes long and come with a group study guide. The first is titled Evil, costars Desmond Tutu, and is intended to be a companion to Wright's new book Evil and the Justice of God. The second DVD is Resurrection, and is a basically a digest of his book The Resurrection of the Son of God. Amazon has both of them (don't forget to go via our bookstore link above if you order them!).
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Karen » April 26th, 2007, 9:22 pm

Thanks for the tip, Sven. *wonders if she has room on her shelves for even more NTW stuff*
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby moogdroog » May 13th, 2007, 3:54 pm

moogdroog
Wardrobian

Postby ancientdogma » June 7th, 2007, 10:18 pm

ancientdogma
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » June 7th, 2007, 11:58 pm

Karen
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » June 12th, 2007, 9:10 pm

Karen, as the local expert on NT Wright, have you read any of his three-part historical work? If so, would you suggest that to a professional historian doing research in the history of religion and ideas, who is also a skeptic? (Specifically of interest to this person would be commentary on how enlightenment and post-enlightenment thought affected our interpretation of Jesus.)

I'm just reading The Challenge of Jesus, which seems to be a condensed version of his take on the historical Jesus. It's good, but I think a historian would want the complete version.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » June 12th, 2007, 10:20 pm

I've read or, more accurately, extensively dipped into, all three of the volumes he's so far published (I think he has five planned). There are certainly bits of what you're talking about in there, but I don't know that I'd recommend them, at least at first: it might be a case of overkill, and a kind of theological specificity that your friend isn't looking for.

Instead, I might start with , which contains some things found in Jesus and the Victory of God (vol II in the series). Also, in Wright's The Last Word, a slim little volume about the authority of scripture, there's a chapter entitled "The Challenge of the Enlightenment" which is very good. And I wouldn't hesitate to give your friend The Challenge of Jesus: it's excellent, and if s/he wants to delve deeper there are always the bigger books.
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » June 13th, 2007, 3:06 am

Thanks Karen! That article will give her a good idea of what he's on about. It has a lot of bits that are in Challenge too. The only thing with that book is that there's an awful lot of "I can't go fully into that right now...", which I think would frustrate an academic reader.
nomad
Wardrobian

Return to Apologetics & Other Works