This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Questions about The Screwtape Letters

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Questions about The Screwtape Letters

Postby Paul F. Ford » July 22nd, 2007, 2:26 am

Between 1981 and 1987 I did my research for my dissertation, "C. S. Lewis: Ecumenical Spiritual Director: A Study of His Experience and Theology of Prayer and Discernment in the Process of Becoming a Self," Fuller Theological Seminary (Pasadena, California), 1987, Ph.D. in theology.

I collected binders full of notes, particularly on The Screwtape Letters.

Now I get a chance to prepare to publish an annotated version of The Screwtape Letters.

I wonder if some of you in the Into the Wardrobe Forum would care to share your questions about the meaning of individual letters and/or passages in individual letters, as well as questions about themes the letters address. Has there been a discussion of The Screwtape Letters in the past?

Forgive me in advance if this is an improper question. I am not asking to 'use' the forum but to be informed by SL questions and concerns from Forum members.

Gratefully,
Paul
Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Hi Paul! (waves)

Postby LynnMagdalenCollege » July 26th, 2007, 4:44 am

Hey my friend - what is your time frame? I'm off to Mythcon shortly but when I come back I'd like to re-read SL and see if I've got questions/cts for you.

blessings,
-- Lynn --
LynnMagdalenCollege
Wardrobian

Re: Hi Paul! (waves)

Postby Paul F. Ford » July 26th, 2007, 10:44 pm

Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby carol » July 27th, 2007, 5:01 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Paul F. Ford » July 29th, 2007, 11:37 pm

Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Letter 15 The Present Moment

Postby friendofaslan » August 4th, 2007, 11:54 pm

Member of the 2456317 Club. "How will you know? . . . Odd things they say--even their looks--will let the secret out. Keep your eyes open. Bless me, what do they teach them at these schools?" - Professor Kirke in LWW
friendofaslan
Wardrobian

Re: Questions about The Screwtape Letters

Postby Tuke » August 30th, 2007, 2:41 pm

"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby friendofaslan » August 31st, 2007, 12:26 am

Member of the 2456317 Club. "How will you know? . . . Odd things they say--even their looks--will let the secret out. Keep your eyes open. Bless me, what do they teach them at these schools?" - Professor Kirke in LWW
friendofaslan
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » August 31st, 2007, 4:28 pm

"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » September 7th, 2007, 3:57 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Re: Letter 15 The Present Moment

Postby rusmeister » September 7th, 2007, 4:01 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby friendofaslan » September 7th, 2007, 12:51 pm

Yes! Thanks. This perspective sheds a whole new light on the quote. :smile:
friendofaslan
Wardrobian

Postby Paul F. Ford » September 7th, 2007, 1:46 pm

Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Letter 26 -- hunted expressions?

Postby Michael Gaul » September 10th, 2007, 12:02 am

Michael Gaul
Wardrobian

Postby CKinna » November 23rd, 2007, 10:01 pm

Sounds great! Our group - The CS Lewis Society of Frederick (MD) - is currently half way through discussing Screwtape. If anything comes up and if I remember I will post our questions.

What does not satisfy when we find it, was not the thing we were desiring. - Brother Jack
CKinna
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Apologetics & Other Works