This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Priestesses in the Church? ... from Jack's God in the Dock

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.

Re: Priestesses in the Church? ... from Jack's God in the Dock

Postby Mr Bultitude » 22 Nov 2009, 04:11

rusmeister wrote: It does claim to be the valid and unbroken representation of the 4th century Church, and has, along with the Roman Catholic Church, the most solid historical basis to make such a claim, but does not base the claim in any great degree merely on having canonized the Bible.

And that claim, that the Orthodox Church is the "unbroken representation" of the Church of the 4th century, has merit. But on the question of authority I am still unclear. On what basis do we defer to that authority when it comes to interpretation, if not for its age and/or that it was the canonizing body?
Mr Bultitude

Re: Priestesses in the Church? ... from Jack's God in the Dock

Postby rusmeister » 22 Nov 2009, 10:11

Mr Bultitude wrote:
rusmeister wrote: It does claim to be the valid and unbroken representation of the 4th century Church, and has, along with the Roman Catholic Church, the most solid historical basis to make such a claim, but does not base the claim in any great degree merely on having canonized the Bible.

And that claim, that the Orthodox Church is the "unbroken representation" of the Church of the 4th century, has merit. But on the question of authority I am still unclear. On what basis do we defer to that authority when it comes to interpretation, if not for its age and/or that it was the canonizing body?

If I understand your question correctly...
(It's just a little odd to me, as put)
We defer to authority on a voluntary or involuntary basis. Assuming voluntary as given, because we find that it tells the truth, and to quote GKC, not only where we are right, but especially where we are wrong.

We are lead places, and we hope and pray that it is indeed God doing the leading, and not merely our own egos. Reason can help us with some of the questions - though not all - and for me, reason says that the Church must have continuously existed, so one solid basis is the historical one. I can conceive of no time after (c)AD 33 when it could have "not existed", but most denominations have little to no historical backing - they make claims that this and such a saint or Church father as "theirs", but when you go down the historical trail from the beginning, Protestantism gets disqualified right off the bat - as the existing institutions from all centuries prior to the 16th devolve down to what we today call the Catholic and Orthodox Churches. It is plain that the Holy Spirit could not have 'taken a vacation', much less a 1,500 year one, and there is no serious historical backing for any other church, regardless of their claims.

The Holy Spirit can function where it wills, and I believe that a lot of non-Orthodox Christians are saints in God's eyes, and much holier than me, but the issue of where the Church is is clear to me. I realize that really doesn't help you - you have to learn about Catholics from the RCC, and about Orthodox from the OC, and pray and make your decision carefully. I think God will bless all efforts to please Him, but we are expected to use our brains to the max.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister

Previous

Return to Apologetics & Other Works