This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Did Lewis charge God foolishly?

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Postby Karen » November 11th, 2007, 11:48 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » November 16th, 2007, 6:41 pm

"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » November 23rd, 2007, 5:32 pm

I hadn't noticed it mentioned in this thread, so I'll mention that the Psalms come to my mind in considering this question. The Christian Church made the Psalter its first prayer book and hymnal, and for many, it has always remained a primary source for Christian prayer and song.

A good number of psalms express frustration with God; charging God, so to speak, in regard to God's action (or non-action). These aren't the only word or the last word in their prayer vocabulary, but they're there, to be sure.

Jesus quoted one of them, of course: "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Psalm 22)

In our faith lives, we do not only feel joy, victory, and gratitude. It seems to me falsely empoverishing (and unbiblical) to not be allowed a way of prayer that expresses other darker, more difficult moods.

Whether we should feel certain moods is, in an a certain way, beside the point. In our living, real relationship, we are to be present with God (and realize that God is present with us) in all things.

In the pattern of Jesus, this includes our own very partial mirrorings of Gesthemane and the Cross.

Even unlike Jesus this includes, for us, our times of failure. This doesn't mean that sin isn't sin. It does mean that there's nothing "too far" for God. God really can "work all things together for good."

There is a spiritual danger, it seems to me, also, in only allowing the espression of the happy and positive. We can fall into the trap of trying to manipulate (if not bribe) God with what we deem to be the "appropriateness" or "faithfulness" of our responses.

So, it seems to be that Lewis, in A Grief Observed is offering something classic, appropriate. helpful, faithful--and godly.

Sorry to go on so long; I wanted to add this to the mix.

Regards.
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Re: Did Lewis charge God foolishly?

Postby katejohnson77 » March 4th, 2008, 4:06 pm

katejohnson77

Postby gameld » March 21st, 2008, 9:55 pm

gameld
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » March 22nd, 2008, 1:07 am

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » March 23rd, 2008, 6:01 am

Last edited by Pete on March 23rd, 2008, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » March 23rd, 2008, 11:52 am

Yes, Lewis' feelings of anger were only feelings. I don't think that a moment of doubt or anger would destroy a lifetime of faith. :smile:

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Apologetics & Other Works