This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Two questions on The Great Divorce

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Two questions on The Great Divorce

Postby Peepiceek » February 21st, 2008, 9:21 pm

Is what happend with The Big Ghost and the Bright Person, Len in chapter 4 intentionally an illustration of Matthew 4:21-22. The Ghost judges Len for murdering Jack and as a result, he himself winds up in hell. Most people think of it as something that will be done to you when it is actually the ghost"s choice alone while Len is practically begging him not to go.

Question 2: Did George MacDonald actually say any of the things that Lewis has him saying in his fictional dialog? (I haven't read any of MacDonald yet) I find my self quoting the fictional MacDonald (I especially like the quote about the butterfly eating all of hell and not even tasting it) then I realise I'm actually quoting Lewis. Like someone who thinks they're quoting Virgil might actually be quoting Dante.
Peepiceek
Wardrobian

Re: Two questions on The Great Divorce

Postby katejohnson77 » March 4th, 2008, 3:50 pm

katejohnson77

Postby nomad » May 17th, 2008, 5:42 am

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » May 18th, 2008, 2:04 am

Great points, Kate and Nomad.

The western cult of the individual is something that I have become especially aware of in recent years. It is the driving force of most forms of Christianity - it underpins Sola Scriptura, justifies personal preference in choice of churches (and the whole "what I'm comfortable with" rather than "is this the original Church of the Apostles?" question. I am very thankful that it is absent in the Orthodox Church. (I think it fair to same the same of the Catholic Church). Trouble is, either way, you have to 'move east'.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » May 18th, 2008, 7:15 pm

Well, I think I'd still have a problem with any current church claiming to be "the original". If anyone can make such a claim, it would have to be the Palestinian Christians. But I don't intend to get into that here.

We westerners do need to "move east". We need to admit that our interpretation fo Christianity is heavily influenced by things that have nothing to do with Christ. The duality view of Plato, for instance. Easterners of course have done similar things, and should probably "move west", but we should first take the plank out of our own eye.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » May 19th, 2008, 1:32 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Peepiceek » May 19th, 2008, 11:39 am

Hey, guys. Thanks for the responses. I know I'm way over my head in this converation regarding an original church but isn't the founder of the Catholic Church, Saint Peter the same Simon Peter who dismembered a Roman guard defending Jesus, stopped only by Jesus' "This is the cup the Lord has provided. Shall I not drink of it?" (John 18:11(paraphrased)) The point is the first Pope of the Catholic Church literally knew Christ. How do you get more original than that?
BTW can either of you shed some light on the MacDonald quotes question?
Peepiceek
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » May 19th, 2008, 2:50 pm

Well, Peepiceek many question whether Simon Peter was in fact a "Pope" at all, because that whole notion puts Him above the rest, and considered infallible and all of that..., however it's Jesus Christ who never sinned and is not fallible - not Simon Peter. Essentially the question is was he really the first "Pope" - if he wasn't, that calls into question the very notion that the Roman Catholic Church was the "original" church.
Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Mornche Geddick » May 19th, 2008, 3:23 pm

Mornche Geddick
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » May 19th, 2008, 3:40 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » May 19th, 2008, 4:46 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby gameld » May 19th, 2008, 9:54 pm

gameld
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » May 19th, 2008, 11:03 pm

nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » May 20th, 2008, 12:37 am

Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » May 20th, 2008, 4:40 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Apologetics & Other Works