This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Low Church/High Church

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Low Church/High Church

Postby stepshep » February 28th, 2008, 1:29 am

stepshep

Postby Tuke » February 28th, 2008, 3:27 am

Welcome to the Wardrobe, stepshep.
The only thing that comes to mind are parenthetical comparisons between Lewis (low) and TS Eliot (high), but these are made by editors and biographers not Lewis himself. I found seven pertinent references under Anglo-Catholicism in Fr. Walter Hooper's CS Lewis: A Companion & Guide
Last edited by Tuke on February 28th, 2008, 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Low Church/High Church

Postby stepshep » February 28th, 2008, 6:27 pm

stepshep

Postby repectabiggle » February 28th, 2008, 6:33 pm

I'm not sure if he goes into the differences anywhere, but I know he mentions the distinction in the preface to Mere Christianity.
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » February 29th, 2008, 8:42 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » August 4th, 2008, 3:36 pm

Off-hand, I can only think of a brief mention of "Low Church/High Church" in "The Screwtape Letters". Even here, it's not really a discussion of the difference, but more of a advice from Screwtape to Wormwood on how to use differing opinions to stir up trouble.

Remember, Lewis was a devotee of the Church of England. And the Church of England has often had various movements going on within it that were not exactly sanctioned by the church heirarchy. John Wesley's "Methodist Movement" comes to mind. Throughout Wesley's life, the Methodists in England remained a part of the Church of England. Even in America, they didn't seperate until after the colonies gained independence.

So, the "High Church/Low Church" debate Lewis was referring to was not a dispute between different denominations, but a dispute between differing parties within the Church of England.

I have no idea if such a debate still goes on. Perhaps an Anglican or two can post some thoughts on this.
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby bruce n h » August 21st, 2008, 3:44 pm

bruce n h
Wardrobian

Return to Apologetics & Other Works