This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Personal Heresy - Reprinted

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

The Personal Heresy - Reprinted

Postby repectabiggle » August 14th, 2008, 3:04 am

I thought everybody here would like to know that Lewis's controversy with E.M.W. Tillyard, The Personal Heresy, was just reprinted by Concordia Press.

I pre-ordered my copy and it arrived today. It's a decent paperback with a preface by Joel D. Heck (the editor), an introduction by Bruce Edwards, and an index. I'm very glad to see that this edition has footnotes for the many quotes and various Greek and Latin phrases.

Details can be found here: http://www.concordia.edu/html/newsevent ... ewsID=1013

The ISBN is 9781881848103, but I can't find it available anywhere but through Concordia Press itself.
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Re: The Personal Heresy - Reprinted

Postby Tuke » August 14th, 2008, 7:01 pm

"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » August 14th, 2008, 7:24 pm

Wow, that was a good find, Tuke. I've seen it much more expensive than that for a long time. Now if somebody would just reprint a cheap version of Selected Literary Essays and Rehabilitations and Other Essays. And Essays Presented to Charles Williams. And Arthurian Torso. I rather doubt the latter two will ever be reprinted, or at least not any time soon.

Still no sign of the paperback of volume three of the letters, either. I've emailed the publisher twice and gotten no response whatsoever. What will happen, of course, is that I'll break down and buy a hardcover copy (I have paperbacks of the first two volumes), and they'll release the paperback the very next day. :angry:
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » August 14th, 2008, 7:31 pm

Thanks for the information, repectabiggle. I have a copy of the 1965 reprint, but this looks like a good edition. Is it trade paperback size, or mass market?
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby repectabiggle » August 14th, 2008, 7:33 pm

I believe you'd call it trade paperback. Mass market are like those little handful copies of Stephen King that you see in line at the grocery store, right? I think it's about 10in by 7in or so? I'm at work, so it isn't in front of me just now.
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » August 14th, 2008, 7:35 pm

Right. The 1965 reprint was mass market size. I suspected that a University Press would put it out as a TPB.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Karen » August 14th, 2008, 7:38 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » August 14th, 2008, 7:40 pm

Oh, excellent. Thank you, Karen.

I actually paid the high cost for a hardcover reprint of Rehabilitations and Other Essays. Haven't yet worked up the nerve to suggest to my wife that I spend that much again on Selected Literary Essays.
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » August 14th, 2008, 8:08 pm

"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Return to Apologetics & Other Works