This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Quote Question

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Quote Question

Postby Tumnus's Books » December 17th, 2008, 1:12 am

I'm surprised I didn't come across this quote sooner- I've been reading Lewis for some time now- but does anyone know what book/essay/letter the quote "You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body" comes from?

Much obliged for any help on this...
"You are, in fact, Human?"
Tumnus's Books
Wardrobian

Re: Quote Question

Postby Leslie » December 17th, 2008, 1:51 am

We've actually had this question a few times. It's not a Lewis quote, although it is frequently misattributed to him.

It is found in A Canticle for Liebowitz, by Walter Miller.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Tumnus's Books » December 17th, 2008, 6:13 pm

Thanks, Leslie! I was wondering why I couldn't find it...any other famous "Lewis" quotes to look out for?
Tumnus's Books
Wardrobian

Postby john » December 17th, 2008, 6:32 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Karen » December 17th, 2008, 6:53 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby john » December 17th, 2008, 7:13 pm

Ha! Well, okay then. I'll send the same memo to our President. :snow-wink:
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Tumnus's Books » December 17th, 2008, 10:43 pm

checked out/bought Miller's book on Amazon- looks like a fascinating read! Hopefully I won't miscomprehend it! :snow-toothy: (pokes John)
Tumnus's Books
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » December 18th, 2008, 2:06 am

It'll seem pretty dated now. It's considered a seminal work of science fiction, but...meh.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby galion » December 18th, 2008, 11:10 am

Well, dated ... yes, it's about the world after a nuclear catastrophe, so you get terms like fallout, and concerns with strontium and cesium - but although we give that a low priority these days, the possibility hasn't gone away. More seriously, it assumes that Latin will continue to be the language of the Catholic Church. Otherwise, however, it deals with some serious issues, such as the transmission of knowledge, the responsibility of scientists, "mercy killing" and that thar old Problem of Pain - among other things. It also has a number of well-drawn characters, and a certain amount of humour, and it reads pretty fluently. Try it sometime.
galion
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » December 18th, 2008, 2:17 pm

I just found it really heavy-handed. But then I'm not a science fiction fan. I felt the same way about Stranger in a Strange Land - yeesh.
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » December 18th, 2008, 3:22 pm

At the risk of turning Karen inside out, I'll say that I would put Miller's CfL right up there with Brideshead Revisited. It is a simply terrific book. We just re-read it aloud a couple months ago and it was as good as ever. (in fact, as I think about it, it really does have some of the same sort of ironic humor as Waugh has in BR -- hmm...curious. I can think of some of the conversations between the abbot and Thon Taddeo and others that strike me as having a similar tone to those between the priest and Rex Mottram)

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » December 18th, 2008, 4:07 pm

My d-d-d-dear, we shall just have to agree to disagree, agreeably. :snow-smile:
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » December 19th, 2008, 2:43 am

I'm not fond of most science fiction either, but I like Canticle for Liebowitz a lot. I first read it for high school English, and I reread it regularly.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Return to Apologetics & Other Works