This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Quest of Bleheris

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Quest of Bleheris

Postby jenireed » March 12th, 2009, 9:06 pm

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site, but I've been doing research on CS Lewis for my senior research thesis, and I'm trying to track down something very particular.

In my research, I came across a chapter of a book which referenced a work that Lewis wrote while at school. This was very early (I believe before he wrote Dymer), and was only actually written in letters to Arthur Greeves. I've been searching everywhere, but I can't seem to find any extant texts of this work, which Lewis titled The Quest of Bleheris (or something similar - I'm writing this post very quickly from memory).

Is anyone familiar with this work? And does anyone know where I might come across the actual text of it? I am aware it was unfinished, but am still hoping it ended up published somewhere.

Thanks!
Jeni
jenireed

Re: Quest of Bleheris

Postby Sven » March 12th, 2009, 9:56 pm

Welcome, jenireed!

Chad Walsh refers, and quotes, it in his The Literary Legacy of C. S. Lewis. If you look in Collected Letters of C. S. Lewis, Volume 1, you can read the letters to Arthur where Lewis discusses it. It isn't found in the Index where you'd expect, under Q. Look under "Lewis Clive Staple 'Jack'", almost the last sub-entry.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby jenireed » March 13th, 2009, 12:32 pm

Thank you so much! I will check out the reference you suggested. I have looked through the Letters to Arthur Greeves you were talking about, and was really disappointed when I finally found the reference to the work, but no actual text! :-). I found what appears to be an excellent synopsis of Bleheris in The Most Reluctant Convert by David Downing, but for the sake of accuracy without bias (at least the bias of others), I'd like to find the actual text in Lewis' words if possible.

Thanks again!
jenireed

Postby nomad » April 4th, 2009, 8:42 pm

You might try contacting Wheaton College in Illinois. That's were the definitive library for Lewis resides and they would probably be able to help you.
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Return to Apologetics & Other Works