This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Screwtape Letters, by Focus on the Family

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Re: The Screwtape Letters, by Focus on the Family

Postby Matthew Whaley » August 30th, 2010, 12:03 am

You are right about those extended versions! My two teenage daughters love those movies and have been watching them over and over again to the point where even I can hardly stand to watch them anymore! Which reminds me, I think it's time for me to go back and read those books again, if only to reestablish the way my imagination interprets what Tolkien wrote.
"Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in."
Matthew Whaley
Wardrobian

Postby larry gilman » August 31st, 2010, 3:02 pm

By the way, where exactly did Lewis make this "undesirable hybrid" remark about style? If we're going to agree or disagree with Lewis, we should know what he actually said, and where he said it, what the context was.

Re. the movies: If people like a movie version of a book, then they like it, and that's taste, and that's just a fact, as far as it goes. But the eternally recurrent argument or excuse that an adaption makes converts for this or that book seems to me irrelevant, non sequitur, an attempt to switch to a completely different discussion. If I argue that a given adaptation is emotionally shallow and aesthetically stock, then that is an artistic criticism. Ticket and book sales have no bearing on it at all. As an individual reader or watcher, my reaction, what I experience and feel, my judgement on the artistic merits, isn't even touched by the question of what millions of other people are buying or not buying.

Bluntly, then, I simply don't care that the LOTR movies have boosted book sales sixfold (which they have -- http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... t=0&page=1 ). That is a datum for the marketing department, not for a reader or viewer _as such_. I have nothing to do with it.

"At the end of the day, a film can only include so much." Exactly: and what if that "so much" is not enough? What if the best things about a book, its voice, its spirit, its suggestiveness, its sprawling imaginative wealth, its sense of passing time, happen in a given case to be the sorts of things that don't go into film at all, by the nature of the medium? What if the result is a spiritually truncated, flattened out, hollywoodized, action-packed dumb-down of the original vision? Like an indoor grove of plastic trees in an amusement park -- when the alternative would be to go walk in a real forest? At the end of the day, an amusement park can only include so much. True. Too bad for amusement parks.

Also at the end of the day, people are free to make these movies or not, and go to them or not, and like them or not. So there should be nothing threatening about my growlings and barkings. Free speech for all, and hurrah for that.

Another by the way: Nerd42, I am a left-wing, anti-capitalist American (though from your posts, I guess that we actually have a lot in common). But I would object to adaptations of Lewis that tweaked him to make him ideologically friendlier to my own views. I hate that kind of meddling or touching-up (or misleading selective quotation, a tactic that has sometimes been used to make Lewis look like a Creationist). I'm betting that you actually are against such exploitations too. So let us have the full complexity, the whole sandwich. There is a reason why" Bowdlerize" is a term of derogation . . .
larry gilman
Wardrobian

Postby Nerd42 » September 1st, 2010, 2:18 am

Nerd42
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 2nd, 2010, 5:12 am

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Diabolic letter box

Postby Kanakaberaka » September 3rd, 2010, 5:14 am

It's always great to discover yet another letter to Wormwood from his uncle. The Screwtape Letters was my introduction to the works of C.S. Lewis. And I still enjoy going back to re-read it. Thank you Stanley.

I wonder what Uncle Screwtape would have to say about that new film The Last Exorcism?
so it goes...
Kanakaberaka
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » September 3rd, 2010, 6:39 pm

Nerd42: Your post was hilarious. I could picture the little people running around in your head. I'm not sure if you are old enough to remember a sitcom called "Herman's Head", but your post reminded me of it.

Stanley: Also very funny.
Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby larry gilman » September 8th, 2010, 11:15 pm

larry gilman
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Apologetics & Other Works