This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Source Help Needed - Thank You

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Source Help Needed - Thank You

Postby JSD » December 11th, 2009, 9:12 pm

I am trying to find the location of the illustration Lewis uses – when he speaks of yearning for a good vacation, happy marriage, etc. and it never matching up with expectation. The idea was that the total thing never arrived.

JSD
JSD
Wardrobian

Re: Source Help Needed - Thank You

Postby Karen » December 11th, 2009, 9:45 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby JSD » December 12th, 2009, 6:55 am

Thank you Karen. That's not it. I am familiar with the various parts of Lewis' works on the argument from desire generally. He is expressing more this idea: that when you have a hope for some new activity that comes up in life the thing itself, the fullness of the thing, never arrives. A few years ago it caused me to write an email to a friend applying the passage to Christmas, how all the appeals to the myth of Christmas are never born out in reality. That is the best I can do with it until I see it again, and looking for it is driving me crazy. The passage I am remembering seems to me an elaboration on the simple line in A Grief Observed where he talks about cancer never actually arriving, there are just the days with their good and bad parts. This is not the idea, but a related one.
JSD
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » December 12th, 2009, 5:43 pm

Sven, who probably knows Lewis' works better than anyone on this forum, may be able to help.

*pages Sven*
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » December 12th, 2009, 7:33 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Karen » December 13th, 2009, 8:24 pm

Karen
Wardrobian

Return to Apologetics & Other Works