This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Lewis on Axioms/Presuppositions

Comprising most of Lewis' writings.
Forum rules
Please keep all discussion on topic and in line with our code of conduct.

Lewis on Axioms/Presuppositions

Postby sqrt[-1] » January 4th, 2010, 12:04 pm

Did CSLewis ever write anything on Axioms or Presuppositions?

I am not even sure that is the correct terms - I am thinking along the lines of ideas that form the "root" of your thinking that you use to build your ideas/beliefs upon. (eg. "The laws of logic are true", "I exist", "I experience the world in it's real form" etc)
sqrt[-1]
Wardrobian

Re: Lewis on Axioms/Presuppositions

Postby archenland_knight » January 4th, 2010, 1:08 pm

Greetings i:

I don't think we've met before.

I suppose that in a way, "The Abolition of Man" deals with the subject, but I'm not sure if it's the sort of approach you're thinking of.
Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby sqrt[-1] » January 6th, 2010, 12:04 pm

Hi,

I can't say that I remember much about the themes in "The Abolition of Man" - I will give it a re-read and let you know.

What I was looking for was similar to axioms in mathematics - except for philosophy. eg. In maths everything is derived from a set of laws (called axioms) which are just assumed to be true.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axiom

I believe that in philosophy there may exist a similar set of root beliefs that a person may have (possibly Presuppositions?) and was wondering if Lewis wrote anything on the topic. (purely for my own interest)

Thanks again.
sqrt[-1]
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » January 11th, 2010, 11:14 pm

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby Nerd42 » March 2nd, 2010, 8:34 pm

Yeah The Abolition of Man deals with axioms in philosophy of ethics. Lewis was very critical of and I recall him making the "infinite regress argument" against it at some point though I don't at present remember where.
Nerd42
Wardrobian

Return to Apologetics & Other Works