This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Children's Theater Productons of Lion, Witch & Wardrobe

Children's Theater Productons of Lion, Witch & Wardrobe

Postby PKRS » 11 Nov 2004, 23:20

Help. I've been asked to design the set for our community children's theater production of the Lion the Witch & the Wardrobe next month. I've read the script of the play but have never seen it produced. Would anybody here know of someone online who's done this show before & could give me some pointers on how to stage it? Anyone have pictures of former shows to see how they split the stage up? Thanks
PKRS

Re: Children's Theater Productons of Lion, Witch & Wardr

Postby Sven » 11 Nov 2004, 23:49

Hi, PKRS,
The Trumpets Theater in Manila did an authorized production a couple of years ago. You can see some pics of the show at Trumpets LWW .

Hope this helps.

Selah,
Sven
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven
Wardrobian

Postby carol » 12 Nov 2004, 04:31

The productions I've seen (3?) tended to use the main set as Narnia (add or take away trucks or flats for different parts of Narnia), the front of the stage (a tab scene in front of a drawn curtain, giving about six feet depth) for the various places in the Professor's house, and a wardrobe on one side (usually the right) as a way between them.

Various Narnian bits came on from the left, except the WW always seemed to come from the right.... sets have to be based on what the director (and/or choreographer) wants to do on stage, and also whose script you are using. Your budget will no doubt have an effect on the complexity of what you plan too!
carol
Wardrobian

Postby PKRS » 12 Nov 2004, 22:45

Carol & Sven,

Thanks so much for your help ... Right now I'm thinking a 20 foot painted backdrop stage left (w/ snow covered pines, mountains & the castle in the far background) ... & a 6 x 8 ft riser carrying the wardrobe (surrounded by flats to mimic walls for the "spare room") stage right ... the children crawl thru the wardrobe & then enter "Narnia" from behind a 4 ft flat w/ painted trees in front of the backdrop ... I get the design finished I'll try to post a pix ...

Pat
PKRS

Return to Questions & Answers