This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Where does C. S. Lewis say...

Where does C. S. Lewis say...

Postby ajm » 28 Nov 2004, 04:40

I am in the middle of writing a paper on Lewis, and, although I remember it rather distinctly, I cannot find the place where he makes a reference to how the Church looked to him as an outsider.

The gist would be "You may think there are a lot of divisions and that the Church is weak, but before I was a believer that is not how the Church looked. It looked strong and widespread covering the whole earth."

I know that there is a similar statement in Screwtape letters, but it is not what I am looking for. In the applicable statement C. S. Lewis is speaking as himself.

Thanks to anyone who can be of help.

--Adam McMillan
ajm

Re: Where does C. S. Lewis say...

Postby Sven » 28 Nov 2004, 20:51

Hi, Adam,
I think I've got what you're looking for, in an essay titled 'On the Reading of Old Books':

C. S. Lewis wrote:We are all rightly distressed, and ashamed also, at the divisions of Christendom. But those who have always lived within the Christian fold may be too easily dispirited by them. They are bad, but such people do not know what it looks like from without. Seen from there, what is left intact, despite all the divisions, still appears (as it truly is) an immensely formidable unity. I know, for I saw it; and well our enemies know it.

'On the Reading of Old Books'
collected in God in the Dock

Hope this helps.

Selah,
Sven
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven
Wardrobian

Thanks

Postby ajm » 28 Nov 2004, 22:50

Thank You very much.

I swear I looked through that essay several times, but I passed over that phrase. It was exactly what I was looking for.

--Adam McMillan
ajm

Return to Questions & Answers