This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Question on CS lewis story

Question on CS lewis story

Postby Larry Scott » 15 Dec 2004, 22:16

I read a story written by CS Lewis comparing Christ coming to earth and being rejected by his own to a fellow that owned a fish aquarium full of fish and each time he fed them they were frightened and hid when he approached. he somehow became a fish himself so he could explian to them that he was not the enemy. It didn't work. Eventually the other fish killed him
I would like ot know where I could find this complete version .
Thank you Larry Scott
Larry Scott

Re: Question on CS lewis story

Postby Stanley Anderson » 15 Dec 2004, 22:32

Larry Scott wrote:I read a story written by CS Lewis comparing Christ coming to earth and being rejected by his own to a fellow that owned a fish aquarium full of fish and each time he fed them they were frightened and hid when he approached. he somehow became a fish himself so he could explian to them that he was not the enemy. It didn't work. Eventually the other fish killed him
I would like ot know where I could find this complete version .
Thank you Larry Scott

You're thinking of the movie "The Incredible Mr. Limpet" with Don Knotts.

Ok, just kidding:-) I wonder if you might be thinking of an analogy of Lewis' where he describes a pearl diver jumping into the ocean, going down, down into the murky deeps where all colour is drained to retrieve a pearl and bring it back up to the surface.

Unfortunately, I'm at work, and can't remember the exact source -- Mere Christianity or Miracles or some such, I think (I'm sure Sven the magician can conjure up the reference:-) -- and I may have misremembered the exact illustration -- again, I bet Sven can clarify it for me.

--Stanley
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » 16 Dec 2004, 01:28

After that nice build up from Stanley, I'm sorry to say at first thought I can't think of any Lewis story like the one you describe, Larry. Lewis does use the image of fish in a tank a couple of times in Miracles, but I don't recall that specific usage.

Now, Philip Yancey tells a story like that, in his book The Jesus I Never Knew, in the chapter called 'Birth: The Visited Planet'. Is it possible that his book is the one your thinking of?
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven
Wardrobian

Postby larry Scott » 17 Dec 2004, 22:00

Sven: You might be right about this story coming from "The Jesus i never knew. I have that book. I''ll look through it. Thank you for taking the time to answer.
Your freind,
larry Scott
larry Scott

Return to Questions & Answers