This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Mark vs. Tristram: Correspondence between Lewis and O. Barfi

Mark vs. Tristram: Correspondence between Lewis and O. Barfi

Postby starrlet00 » 29 Dec 2004, 20:39

I not been able to find the complete information about this book either. Specifically, I am looking for the publishing company and city.

Mark vs. Tristram: Correspondence between Lewis and O. Barfield. Edited by Walter Hooper. 1967.
starrlet00

Re: Mark vs. Tristram: Correspondence between Lewis and O. B

Postby Sven » 29 Dec 2004, 21:09

Hi, starrlet00,
I've combined what answers I have for all four of your posts into one reply.

starrlet00 wrote:I am working on a research project and was wondering if any of you knew where C. S. Lewis's manuscripts were located or if you knew where I could find that information.

Nearly all of the original Lewis manuscripts are in the Marion E. Wade Center, Wheaton College. Their website with more information is here

starrlet00 wrote:Does anyone know the publishing company for this book (Collected Poems of CSL by Walter Hooper)?

You should have 'edited by Walter Hooper', it's HarperCollins 1994.

starrlet00 wrote:I have to place each of CSL's books in genres. I have been unable to find any annotations about this book. Can any of you give me a synopsis?
Vivesection. Boston: 1947 (with forward by G. R. Farnum). London: 1948 (with forward by R. Fielding Ould)

'Vivesection isn't a book, it's an essay. You can find it in the collection of essays by Lewis titled God in the Dock, which is available in most large public and college libraries. It's a short read, you shouldn't have any problem with it.

starrlet00 wrote:Mark vs. Tristram: Correspondence between Lewis and O. Barfield. Edited by Walter Hooper. 1967.

Talk about obscure, this one isn't even listed in Hooper's own bibliography of works about Lewis. The only mention of it I can find is in Hooper's C. S. Lewis: Companion and Guide, where Hooper says:
Walter Hooper wrote: In 1990 the (Oxford University C. S. Lewis) Society reprinted another lark , Mark vs. Tristram: Correspondence between C. S. Lewis and Owen Barfield, first published at Harvard in 1967, but this time with illustrations by Pauline Baynes.

You're on your own with this one, I'm afraid.

Hope all this helps.

Selah,
Sven
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven
Wardrobian

Postby carol » 29 Dec 2004, 22:37

Sven wrote:
starrlet00 wrote:Mark vs. Tristram: Correspondence between Lewis and O. Barfield. Edited by Walter Hooper. 1967.

Talk about obscure, this one isn't even listed in Hooper's own bibliography of works about Lewis. The only mention of it I can find is in Hooper's C. S. Lewis: Companion and Guide, where Hooper says:
Walter Hooper wrote: In 1990 the (Oxford University C. S. Lewis) Society reprinted another lark , Mark vs. Tristram: Correspondence between C. S. Lewis and Owen Barfield, first published at Harvard in 1967, but this time with illustrations by Pauline Baynes.

You're on your own with this one, I'm afraid.

Hope all this helps.

Selah,
Sven

Could you write to the Oxford University CSLewis Society?
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » 30 Dec 2004, 00:19

Ok, a bit of luck.

Mark vs. Tristram: Correspondence Between C. S. Lewis and Owen Barfield. Ed. Walter Hooper. Cambridge: The Lowell House Printers, 1967.

Found it at the Owen Barfield Website.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven
Wardrobian

Postby starrlet00 » 30 Dec 2004, 14:30

Thank you very much for the help! I can't thank you enough.
starrlet00

re: Mark vs. Tristram: Correspondence between Lewis and O. B

Postby tehe » 29 Mar 2006, 19:29

I belive you have my stapler! GIVE IT BACK!! GAHH!!
tehe

Return to Questions & Answers