This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Quote about Lewis

Quote about Lewis

Postby Guest » January 19th, 2005, 9:27 pm

Can anyone claify my foggy memory about a quote, I think from Barfield, to the effect that Lewis was the "most unself-concious" or something like that, person he had ever known.
Thanks,
John Watson

Re: Quote about Lewis

Postby Paul F. Ford » January 20th, 2005, 4:02 pm

John,

G. B. Tennyson's Owen Barfield on C. S. Lewis (Middleton, CT: Wesleyan, 1989) contains nearly everything Barfield ever said about Lewis. You may be remembering Barfield's introductory essay to Jocelyn Gibb's Light on C. S. Lewis (New York: Harcourt, 1965; reprinted in Tennyson's collection) in which he says something like what you remember in paragraph sixteen.

But what you remember sounds more like Walter Hooper's statement, "Lewis struck me the most thoroughly converted man I ever met" (Preface to God in the Dock [Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1970], paragraph seventeen).

Paul
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Re: Quote about Lewis

Postby Guest » January 21st, 2005, 2:28 pm

Return to Questions & Answers