This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Ages

Ages

Postby Jill Pole » February 13th, 2005, 11:28 pm

Jill Pole

Re: Ages

Postby john » February 14th, 2005, 8:42 am

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby carol » February 17th, 2005, 9:44 am

This list will help you if you are planning to read all the Narnia books as well as LWW.

(It's on the sister site)
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Jill Pole » February 17th, 2005, 7:19 pm

Jill Pole

Postby Jill Pole » February 17th, 2005, 7:20 pm

Jill Pole

Postby Paul F. Ford » February 24th, 2005, 10:47 pm

I think you are correct in feeling that they are older, but Lewis MS 51 says they were born in 1933 and that their journey in SC took place in the summer of 1942.

Paul Ford
Camarillo, CA
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby Jill Pole » February 25th, 2005, 12:55 am

Hmm, too bad! That sort of was a let down. ;) I guess I always want the characters to be the way I imagine them. Just like people; when I hear someone talk or sing on the radio, I want their photo to match their voice! :)
Jill Pole

Postby Alan » February 25th, 2005, 9:05 am

For what it's worth let us remember they were nine years old in England. Lewis made it utterly clear in LWW that Narnian air has a strange effect on the ages of children. Add to that the effect of Aslan's breath upon them and it is perfectly reasonable to believe that although they may well have been nine when they left England they were considerably older when they landed in Narnia. Of course ( again as we know from LWW ) when they returned to England they also returned to their English chronology.
This product does not require batteries
Alan
Wardrobian

Postby Jill Pole » February 25th, 2005, 7:18 pm

Jill Pole

Postby Jo March » July 21st, 2007, 4:16 pm

I'm a little confused about how Eustace and Jill can be 9 years old in TSC, but 16 in TLB (according to the timeline on NarniaWeb). I am looking at my copy of TLB, and in chapter 5 (pg. 48 in my Scholastic Inc. version), when Eustace and Jill meet Tirian and untie him, Eustace says "...we were here once before, ages and ages ago, more than a year ago by our time..." (TLB, ch. 5).

Now, granted, 7 years is indeed "more than a year ago," but that seems like a funny expression to use for that long of a time period! Is this just one of those inconsistencies in CoN that we all know and love, or am I missing something? Thanks for the help! :smile:
"'In our world,' said Eustace, 'a star is a huge ball of flaming gas.'
"'Even in your world, my son [said Ramandu] that is not what a star is, but only what it is made of.'"
-- The Voyage of the "Dawn Treader"

Member of the 2456317 Club
Jo March
Wardrobian

Location: Lovely New England...second only to the original. :)

Postby carol » July 22nd, 2007, 1:28 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Jo March » July 24th, 2007, 2:35 am

"'In our world,' said Eustace, 'a star is a huge ball of flaming gas.'
"'Even in your world, my son [said Ramandu] that is not what a star is, but only what it is made of.'"
-- The Voyage of the "Dawn Treader"

Member of the 2456317 Club
Jo March
Wardrobian

Location: Lovely New England...second only to the original. :)

Return to Questions & Answers