This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Where can I find?

Where can I find?

Postby Tolkienwasamarxist » February 27th, 2005, 4:46 pm

An article, interview, or letter w/ Lewis about his philosophy of writing...
I don't have time for ILL (Inter Library Loan) so books, unless widely available are out.

Just so you don't think you are 'doing my homework' I have already looked on such academic databases as JSTOR, project Muse, MLA, and academic search premier.

Daniel B. Karpouzian
Tolkienwasamarxist

Re: Where can I find?

Postby Tolkienwasamarxist » February 27th, 2005, 4:50 pm

This is all I have found (not nearly enough) and neither were cited.

1. Lewis believed writing was a craft and agreed with Dylan Thomas who said the writer should “treat words as a craftsman does his wood or stone, to hew, carve, mold, coil, polish, and plane them into patterns, sequences, sculptures, figures of sound.”

2. (1) Turn off the radio.
(2) Read all the good books you can, and avoid nearly all magazines.
(3) Always write (and read) with the ear, not the eye. You shd. hear every sentence you write as if it was being read aloud or spoken. If it does not sound nice, try again.
(4) Write about what really interests you, whether it is real things or imaginary things, and nothing else. (Notice this means that if you are interested only in writing you will never be a writer, because you will have nothing to write about.
(5) Take great pains to be clear. Remember that though you start by knowing what you mean, the reader doesn't, and a single ill-chosen word may lead him to a total misunderstanding. In a story it is terribly easy just to forget that you have not told the reader somehting that he wants to know--the whole picture is so clear in your own mind that you forget that it isn't the same in his.
(6) When you give up a bit of work don't (unless it is hopelessly bad) throw it away. Put it in a drawer. It may come in useful later. Much of my best work, or what I think my best, is the re-writing of things begun and abandoned years earlier.
(7) Don't use a typewriter. The noise will destroy your sense of rhythm, which still needs years of training.
(8) Be sure you know the meaning (or meanings) of every word you use.
Tolkienwasamarxist

Postby Notolkienwasnt! » February 27th, 2005, 5:36 pm

Hello Daniel,

I don't know about Lewis's philosophy of writing as such, but the following represents a little of Lewis's attitude towards writing, which, you may find useful.

In his poem Hamlet: the Prince or the Poem, Lewis declared that the first duty of art was 'to interest'.

Concerning children's books, in his essay Sometimes Fairy Stories May Say Best What's To Be Said, Lewis stated that a children's story that was only worth reading in childhood was not worth reading at all.

In a letter to Arthur Greeves (4.12.32) Lewis compared Greeves' classical style of writing to his own more idomatic style.

For further proof that Lewis believed that writing should be clear and concise, see his review of Thos. More's prose in Oxford History of English Literature in the C16th bk III.I.I para 30, p.180.

Also in OHEL Lewis also quoted approvingly the 'good counsel' for poets: Look in thy heart and write. bk iii.i para 17, p.328. In his essay Before We Can Communicate from God in the Dock).

In his letter to Greeves (14.6.16) Lewis advocated 'practise, practise, practise' even if what was written would be thrown away afterwards.

Apropos of your list of eight, see also Lewis's letter of 26.6.56 to a girl called Joan. There, he lists five rules for writing
1. Write clearly
2. Use plain words
3. Don't use abstract nouns
4. Describe scenes
5. Use appropriate words, not ones that are 'too big' for their subject

All the best with your search,

Malcolm
Notolkienwasnt!

Postby loeee » February 28th, 2005, 8:42 pm

You might also read his essay, "Good Work and Good Works" in the book, The World's Last Night and Other Essay.
"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » February 28th, 2005, 10:31 pm

Does anyone use a typewriter any more?
robsia
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » February 28th, 2005, 10:32 pm

"A writer writes. All the time."