This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Question about first and second order thoughts

Question about first and second order thoughts

Postby Robert » March 9th, 2005, 2:45 am

[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Re: Question about first and second order thoughts

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 9th, 2005, 4:28 pm

I suggest you read his books -- we do not do people's homework for them here.

:-) Ok, ok, sorry -- that was just so much fun to type, given your fairly complex question compared to the typical "I need a summary of LWW by this afternoon" type of request. It's also a convenient way for me to say that I can't think of where to find the reference you want at the moment:-)

But, though I know it almost certainly is not what you are looking for, I am struck by at least a similarity to what you are describing with the first chapter of Lewis' The Discarded Image where he talks about what the medieval mindset was like. The way he describes it (and it is a mindset that he felt very much akin to himself) sounds very much like the second order way of thinking that you describe in your post, compared to a "savage" way of thinking which seems more like the first order of thinking described in your post.

I looked for something to quote from the chapter (The Medieval Situation and to a good degree the next chapter Reservations also), but I can't find a short compact gem that gets the idea across. Have to read the entire two chapters, I guess.

Again, it is not exactly what you are looking for, but I can see a parallel in the ideas presented there (that very sentence I just typed seems to be of that second order type, eh?:-)

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » March 9th, 2005, 7:19 pm

"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » March 10th, 2005, 12:29 am

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » March 10th, 2005, 12:31 am

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 10th, 2005, 3:48 am

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » March 10th, 2005, 5:07 am

Postby Benj » March 10th, 2005, 5:15 am

Oops, the previous was my post, but I wasn't logged in. I should also mention that it's in the 10th paragraph or so of the chapter (page 174 in my Fontana copy). Lewis says he got his concept from Alexander's Space Time and Deity. Cheers again.
Benj
Wardrobian

Postby Carrie » March 11th, 2005, 4:37 am

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

Member of The 2456317 Club
Carrie
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers