This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Tortured Planet

The Tortured Planet

Postby Benj » June 1st, 2005, 5:43 am

This was the first I had ever heard of a book of this title by Lewis, and the first instance of Lewis abdridging his own work. Is this new to anyone else? Does someone have the backstory of how and why it came to be?

Benj
Wardrobian

Re: The Tortured Planet

Postby Benj » June 1st, 2005, 5:53 am

Here's some other oddities.

Benj
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » June 1st, 2005, 8:22 pm

I had the abridged version of That Hideous Strength but it was still called That Hideous Strength. As for the other part of your post I am not quite sure why you regard those covers as oddities. My copy of Voyage to Venus (Perelandra) is the same as the first one you have shown. Is it because it was called Voyage.... rather than Perelandra? I believe that Voyage.. was the title under which it was more commonly published although other Wardrobians may know differently.

Bill
Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Benj » June 1st, 2005, 10:49 pm

So what parts of Hideous did Lewis abridge? And was it published in the US or the UK? Just curious.

I figured that Voyage was really Perelandra, but I had never heard it called that.

I assume the "tortured planet" is Earth. And since (if memory serves me) Earth is Thulcandra and Mars is Malacandra (the setting of Out of the Silent Planet), the space trilogy could properly be enumerated:

1) Malacandra
2) Perelandra
3) Thulcandra

No word on a release date for Glundandra (Jupiter) or any of the other 5-plus planets.
Benj
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » June 1st, 2005, 11:02 pm

It is difficult to remember exactly which parts of the book were abridged and I no longer have the abridged version so I cannot check. However as far as I can remember it was at the request of the publishers as they thought the full version was a little too long. The story was not substantially altered but some other people might be able to recall what the differences were. Lewis wrote a preface to the abridged edition and he did not seem too upset about having been asked to shorten although he did say he preferred the original.

Bill

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » June 1st, 2005, 11:03 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Bill » June 1st, 2005, 11:08 pm

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » June 1st, 2005, 11:14 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Bill » June 2nd, 2005, 11:36 am

Bill
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers