This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Animal Afterlife?

Animal Afterlife?

Postby cooperkat » June 2nd, 2005, 7:06 pm

Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone has read any of Mr. Lewis' thoughts/beliefs on an afterlife for animals. I thought at one point someone had mentioned a manuscript or something he had written expressing his beliefs about an "animal soul". Just curious.

Thanks,
Katherine
cooperkat

Re: Animal Afterlife?

Postby Leslie » June 2nd, 2005, 7:58 pm

Hi cooperkat -

In the chapter entitled "Animal Pain" in The Problem of Pain,, Lewis begins a discussion of animal immortality by writing, "I have been warned not even to raise the question of animal immortality, lest I find myself 'in company with all the old maids.'"
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » June 2nd, 2005, 8:46 pm

Ooh, ooh, debate material!!!

Firstly, we need to define what is a soul? Is it necessary to have sentience to possess a soul? What is sentience anyway?

Is it necessary to have emotional awareness to have a soul? What is a soul?

My cats can communicate thier wishes to me and have obvious emotional states such as happiness, contentedness, anger etc. They have personal relationships with each other and with the members of my family.

Do they have souls?

Will my cats go to heaven?
robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » June 2nd, 2005, 9:28 pm

Well Biblically speaking, beings don't *have* souls, they *are* souls:

Gen 2:7 (KJV) And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

(NIV) the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

The idea of the soul as a separate entity that somehow resides in the body is a Greek idea. This explains it pretty well:
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » June 2nd, 2005, 9:51 pm

So, do my cats have souls or not? Or, shoud, I say, are my cats souls or not?

The Egyptians clearly thought so.
robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Bill » June 2nd, 2005, 10:38 pm

I remember once when I was still in my teens (I know, I know, in the stoneage!) I was at a church meeting of young people and someone asked the vicar if there would be animals in heaven. His answer was ambiguous but diplomatic. "There will be animals in heaven if you want them to be"
I thought he fielded the question very well.

Bill
Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » June 4th, 2005, 4:14 pm

Are there cats in heaven? I would suspect that there are. After all, it is heaven. :)

One of my cats always joins me (and even crosses her paws) whenever I am saying my morning and evening prayers. I have to take seriously what Lewis said in The Problem of Pain about our being responsible for the moral development of our pets whenever we take them out of their natural environment.
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers