This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Phantastes - how do you pronounce it?

Phantastes - how do you pronounce it?

Postby Teller » June 17th, 2005, 3:37 pm

Hi, I'm new here, and I know the subject line sounds like a silly question, but I learned of the book through Lewis' writing and I'm about to read it for myself and the one thing that's been bugging me is that I'm about to read a book with a title I don't know how to pronounce. Thanks in advance to anyone who answers this :)
Teller

Re: Phantastes - how do you pronounce it?

Postby loeee » June 17th, 2005, 4:46 pm

My guess is that each reader pronounces it however it seems best, and there are probably many pronunciations. I personally say "fan-tas-tes" but who is to say whether this is "right" or "wrong"?
"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » June 17th, 2005, 5:27 pm

And I say "fan-tasts". Maybe we should start a poll? :)
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby magpie » June 17th, 2005, 5:43 pm

I will vote with loeee for "fan-tas-tes" since I think that the word is based on the Greek where all syllables would be pronounced and the stress usually falls on the penultimate.
"Love is the will to extend one's self in order to nurture one's own or another's spiritual growth."
M. Scott Peck

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe
magpie
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » June 17th, 2005, 8:12 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Zan » June 17th, 2005, 11:48 pm

Haha... it sort of bugged me as well when reading it. I always said "Fan - tastes" knowing full well that this is probably wrong. The only reason I settled on that was because it was simple and I need to call it something. Anyways, your going to love it, its a great book. I recommend picking up Lilith when your done with that one. Its another one of George MacDonald's, almost done with it myself, been great thus far!
Zan

"I believe in God like I believe in the sun, not because I can see it, but because of it all things are seen." -- C.S. Lewis

"... the more doors you go out of, the farther you get in!" -- George MacDonald, Lilith
Zan
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers