This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

C.S. Lewis Tour

C.S. Lewis Tour

Postby ShireAdmirer » 24 Jul 2004, 20:31

Hello to all. My husband and I are making a trip to England to see a friend get married. While we are there, we are planning on visiting Oxford and Cambridge. Some of the sites I have explored in planning our trip list a C.S. Lewis tour by Ron Brind..."a childhood friend of Doug Gresham"). I have no desire to see some touristy, inaccurate, representation of C.S.Lewis' home and life. However, I can hardly visit England without seeing some of the places where he worked and/or lived. Does anyone know if this Ron Brind guy is just exploiting the naive C.S. Lewis fan or the real deal?
ShireAdmirer

Re: C.S. Lewis Tour

Postby Guest » 24 Jul 2004, 20:48

Hallo ShireAdmirer-!

I haven't heard of Ron Brind so I couldn't say whether he is 'the real deal' or not. However, Douglas Gresham's email address is available in the Wardrobe helpful contacts section (it is: dhg@iol.ie) so perhaps it would be worthwhile emailing him and asking if Mr Brind was a friend of his?

Hope it all goes well for you!

Malcolm

Re: C.S. Lewis Tour

Postby a_hnau » 09 Aug 2004, 19:29

Hi there! If you have a little time to spare, I'd also recommend a visit to Hay-on-Wye (Herefordshire) - it's a beautiful part of England, and has two other things to recommend it; firstly, the Golden Valley is near here (mentioned in Shadowlands, and a place where Lewis and Joy visited), and secondly, Hay is the home of the largest collection of second-hand bookshops almost anywhere - my wife and I visit virtually every year, and it's a fantastic place to pick up books both related to Lewis and not - from cheap second hand paperback copies to rare editions, depending on your budget (ours is always blown virtually straight away!)

Enjoy your trip!

Tom
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers