This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Question concerning location of quote.

Question concerning location of quote.

Postby Tenel » November 1st, 2005, 8:47 am

Hi, I recently found this while researching a project on the death penalty.

As Christian writer C.S. Lewis observes, "[deterrence] in itself, would be a very wicked thing to do. On the classical theory of punishment it was of course justified on the ground that the man deserved it. Why, in Heaven’s name, am I to be sacrificed to the good of society in this way? -- unless, of course, I deserve it." Inflicting a penalty merely to deter -- rather than to punish for deeds done -- is the very definition of cruelty. A purely deterrent penalty is one where a man is punished -- not for something that he did -- but for something someone else might do. Lewis explained the logical end of this argument: "If deterrence is all that matters, the execution of an innocent man, provided the public think him guilty, would be fully justified."

I am wondering if anyone knows where exactly I can find this directly from him? Thanks.
Tenel

re: Question concerning location of quote.

Postby Paul F. Ford » November 5th, 2005, 10:54 pm

Your quotation is from "The Humanitarian Theory of Punishment" which is most readuily available in God in the Dock: Essays on Theology and Ethics (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1970), 287-300.

[signed]
Paul F. Ford
(author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia )
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

re: Question concerning location of quote.

Postby tenel » November 11th, 2005, 5:46 am

Thanks a bunch :)
tenel

Return to Questions & Answers