This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Where thou shall start?

Where thou shall start?

Postby Guest » August 1st, 2004, 9:04 am

Hello,

I was sincerely wondering if anyone here can recommend me books in which Clive Staples Lewis wrote that you think I should start upon first. I've already read all the Chronicles of Narnia, and after watching the Movie "Shadowlands" I was totally inspired to read more about his life in general, anything about him, I just felt he's one of the most brilliant Oxford professors EVER!

Go go ahead, tell me your thoughts, suggestions, and opinions on which book to start first that he wrote. Thank you for taking you're time in reading this!

Re: Where thou shall start?

Postby Sven » August 1st, 2004, 8:18 pm

Hi, Novelist,
If your interests are more towards non-fiction, I'd suggest reading Mere Christianity next, then perhaps followed by God in the Dock or Miracles. If you would prefer fiction, then The Great Divorce, Screwtape Letters, and the Space Trilogy.

If you're looking for a good bio of Lewis, I'd vote for Jack by George Sayer, if that isn't available for you, a lesser option would be C. S. Lewis by Green and Hooper.

Let us know what you think of the books in the other fora. We love to discuss them :)

Selah,
Sven
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2004, 1:47 pm

For a Lewis biography, "Jack" by George Sayer, really is THE choice. It's thorough and eminently readable.

As for works by Lewis himself - EVERYTHING, and an honourable mention to one book that Sven left out: "Tilll We Have Faces."

Enjoy.

Postby loeee » August 2nd, 2004, 4:38 pm

Also, Surprised by Joy is Lewis's autobiography (although it was written before the events shown in "Shadowlands.") And Doug Gresham's book Lenten Lands is very good (and it has pictures).
"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby Sylvia Lee » August 13th, 2004, 6:47 pm

Take my voice and let me sing always only for my King.
Take my lips, and let them be filled with messages from thee.
Take my hands and let them move at the impulse of thy love.
Take my feet and let them be swift and beautiful for thee.
Sylvia Lee
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » August 19th, 2004, 12:39 pm

I've read that the joke around Oxford after CSL married Joy Davidman was, "Did you hear about Lewis? He's been surprised by Joy!"

One of my all time favorite non-fiction books is "Miracles." It's especially good if you love and appreciate logical reasoning.

Postby penny » November 1st, 2004, 9:22 pm

penny

Postby Bill » November 1st, 2004, 10:49 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Postby yellowdog » November 3rd, 2004, 4:40 pm

Mere Christianity
Screwtape Letters
yellowdog

Postby Guest » December 5th, 2004, 9:41 pm

If you're interested in his life, I would read Surprised by Joy and perhaps also A Grief Observed. Then there is The Pilgrim's Regress which is an imaginative re-creation of his search in Surprised [i]by Joy. If you haven't read the Screwtape Letters or the other worlds trilogy, I would certainly read those.

Menelvagor

Postby Guest » December 5th, 2004, 11:36 pm

The Screwtape Letters is a great book to start with if you want to read Lewis. It was, other than the Chronicles, my introduction to C.S. Lewis. I also enjoyed Till We Have Faces. You definately need to read both of those books.

Postby Solomons Song » December 15th, 2004, 3:19 pm

By now you're probably lost again regarding where to start. But I'd also recommend The Four Loves and The Problem of Pain.
Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers