This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

opinions please

opinions please

Postby vpg90 » December 9th, 2005, 2:58 pm

vpg90

re: opinions please

Postby Leslie » December 9th, 2005, 3:09 pm

Lewis never intended the Chronicles of Narnia to be an allegory of the Bible or of Christian life. I doubt that he intended a direct connection between Edmund's temptation by the White Witch and Eve's temptation.

A more direct link between the garden of Eden and Narnia is found in The Magician's Nephew, and even there we do not find one-to-one correlations between characters and events. There it is the Witch that eats the stolen apple, but she is not a daughter of Eve either. There is a suggestion that she is Adam's first wife Lilith, who appears in some Jewish legends, which opens up many possible interpretations of what Lewis was trying to say.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Re: re: opinions please

Postby Erekose » December 9th, 2005, 10:47 pm

Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » December 19th, 2005, 6:59 am

LWW is not the creation story, or the Garden of Eden; it's a redemption story. Edmund doesn't necessarily represent Eve - he represents all of us who have been tempted by (and succumbed to) evil and who must be redeemed. The Lion ransomed Edmund's life with his own life. I don't think the gender was important in this instance.

Postby loeee » December 19th, 2005, 6:40 pm

I think you will find that Mr. Beaver says Jadis was a decendant of Lilith, not Lilith herself. (Though you rightly point out that this would be Narnian myth to account for Jadis, whom we know to be from Charn. Come to think of it, why couldn't the royal house of Charn be decended from Lilith?)
"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers