This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

is this the first?

is this the first?

Postby livi20 » December 22nd, 2005, 11:33 pm

livi20

re: is this the first?

Postby Sven » December 22nd, 2005, 11:42 pm

Which movie? If you mean The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, the BBC did a TV movie version that looked like this

There was also an animated version that looked like this

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby prophetess » December 24th, 2005, 6:04 pm

:read: Hi! I am thinking that there must have been at least one more cartoon. I was in grade school nearly 25 to 30 years ago and we had to watch one every year that was different than both of these two. I remember being afraid of the lion's voice at first :pleased: . But, it was that video that started me to reading the Chronicles. If your mother is close to my age, she might remember the cartoon that we watched at school.
prophetess

Postby Erekose » December 24th, 2005, 6:24 pm

Without delving into various tv operators/nostalgia websites I can't substantiate what my sometimes wavering memory tells me.. but..

I do know that at least LWW & PC were read on the BBC's Jackanory series (with the PB illustrations used extensiveley to break up the otherwise continual view of the narrator).

not so sure on this one, BUT, I do have a rather dim memory of a black & white TV series (BBC or ATV/ITV unsure which) of LWW. In particular the image of Edmund scraling a moustache on the Stone Lion comes to mind)

Hope this helps
Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby carol » December 25th, 2005, 9:52 am

The B&W one was probably the 1967 one that grew out of being a Jackanory style production. It has contemporary clothing for the children, so that "Lucy" has 60s style pigtails and a mini skirt.
The introductory programme for the BBC series ("Past Watchful Dragons") showed a clip or two of this, while interviewing past directors and scriptwriters.

There has been only the one animated version though. There were 3 serials of Narnia stories done by the BBC in the late 80s. Perhaps this is what the first person's memory is thinking of?
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » December 25th, 2005, 10:53 am

I think 1967 sounds about right.

not sure if "growing out of Jackanory production" is right though.

Jackanory at that time was a program that featured a Reader of an abridged version who sat in a simple wicker chair, with an occasional interspetion of illustrations from the book in question (other feature "Little-Nose and Two Eyes, Stig of te Dump, The Pie Makers, and other classics of a by-gone age).

Just to confuse the issue though...

On BBC TV there was an early East European (I think) B&W tv series that was about a frozen land. featured an evil dwarve/goblin and a fish frozen in a fouintain. I suppose where this is an "early" MEMORY IT COULD BE CONFUSED WITH lw&w ?
Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers