This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Allegory of Love and Oxford History of English Literature

Allegory of Love and Oxford History of English Literature

Postby cslfan » December 27th, 2005, 5:35 am

cslfan

re: Allegory of Love and Oxford History of English Literatur

Postby Pensfan » December 27th, 2005, 6:31 am

A search on eBay for yields a few results, most of which are cheaper than the $100 you listed. Although one is listed at $1,170...

You may be able to find the second book as well with some searching on eBay.

Good Luck!

;)
This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practise ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people.
C.S. Lewis - The Cause for Christianity

Proud Member of the 2456317 Club, with leanings towards The 2453617 Club
Pensfan
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » December 27th, 2005, 9:46 pm

I read somewhere last year that Allegory of Love was being considered for publication by Cambridge University Press under their inexpensive paperback imprint Canto. Most of Lewis' literary works have already been released by them (An Experiment in Criticism, Studies in Medieval and Renaissance Literature, Studies in Words, and The Discarded Image.) You might want to wait a bit and see if they do the same for Allegory of Love.

As for Lewis' volume of the OHEL, 16th Century excluding Drama, I've got good news, and bad news :) . The good news is, it is still in print, though Oxford University Press has renamed it Poetry and Prose in the Sixteenth Century. The bad news is, it costs $90.25 new. Ordering info .

It would be appreciated that, if you order it through Amazon, you go there via one of the links in the Wardrobe bookstore (button above). That way, a few cents of the purchase price will go to help offset our server costs, and it won't add anything to your purchase price.

Hope this helps.

Selah,
Sven
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Re: re: Allegory of Love and Oxford History of English Liter

Postby Pensfan » December 27th, 2005, 11:09 pm

This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practise ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people.
C.S. Lewis - The Cause for Christianity

Proud Member of the 2456317 Club, with leanings towards The 2453617 Club
Pensfan
Wardrobian

Re: Allegory of Love and Oxford History of English Literatur

Postby mjmann » December 27th, 2005, 11:35 pm

I don't know if this helps, but Amazon.co.uk are selling new copies of OHEL/Poetry and Prose in the Sixteenth Century new for £25,00 or used for £24,75. Full details . It is also offering The Allegory of Love for under £50.

About Canto - my copy of The Allegory is by the C.U.P so it sounds like they may be considering reissuing the book. Good news. A quick check on the web site doesn't bring up that title so I suppose it is a case of watch that space.
mjmann
Wardrobian

Postby pchan » December 28th, 2005, 4:19 pm

pchan

Postby Guest » January 6th, 2006, 6:39 pm

Look around at www.bookfinder.com for relatively inexpensive copies of The Allegory of Love and the OHEL book. You may have to check back now and then, but bookfinder has been the best way to get the lowest price on hard-to-find books, in my experience.

Return to Questions & Answers