This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Lewis's faith

Lewis's faith

Postby Paige » January 18th, 2006, 7:24 pm

In his childhood, when did he become a Christan? On the website it said he lost his childhood faith, but never said when he first became a Christian.
Paige

re: Lewis's faith

Postby A#minor » January 18th, 2006, 7:46 pm

Try looking in Bio.

1931 - Lewis became a Christian: One evening in September, Lewis had a long talk on Christianity with J.R.R. Tolkien (a devout Roman Catholic) and Hugo Dyson. That evening's discussion was important in bringing about the following day's event that Lewis recorded in Surprised by Joy: "When we [Warnie and Jack] set out [by motorcycle to the Whipsnade Zoo] I did not believe that Jesus Christ was the Son of God, and when we reached the zoo I did."
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Paige » January 18th, 2006, 7:52 pm

Thanks for your effort, but I already knew that. It does say that, but is there anything about when he was a christian in his childhood. I was just wondering, because I'm writing a research paper on him. By the way, I am using that in my paper.
It did say that he "abandoned his childhood faith". I was just wondering when that "childhood faith" began.
Thanks anyways!
Paige

Postby Tony » January 18th, 2006, 7:59 pm

He never really had faith in the true sense of the word. What he had was more a child's wonder and naive understanding of who God was and what He was like.

Lewis talks about this playfully in his spiritual autobiography Surprised By Joy.

Pax tecum.
"The Church is the natural home of the Human Spirit."
-Hilaire Belloc
Tony
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » January 18th, 2006, 8:00 pm

I don't think that "childhood faith" is actually referring to any definite statement of faith from Jack in his youth. It just means that his family was religious and took him to church.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Paige » January 18th, 2006, 8:02 pm

Thank you!
Paige

Postby Leslie » January 18th, 2006, 9:07 pm

In Surprised by Joy, in chapter 2, "Concentration Camp," Lewis says "But I have not yet mentioned the most important thing that befell me at Oldie's [the school he attended at age 10]. There first I became an effective believer." He goes on to describe how he began to practice Christianity.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby carol » January 19th, 2006, 6:05 am

carol
Wardrobian

Re: re: Lewis's faith

Postby john » January 19th, 2006, 8:54 am

john
Chief Wardrobian
john