This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Queen Boadicea?

re: Queen Boadicea?

Postby robsia » January 21st, 2006, 11:09 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Re: re: Queen Boadicea?

Postby Bill » January 21st, 2006, 11:09 pm

Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Re: re: Queen Boadicea?

Postby Karen » January 21st, 2006, 11:12 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby David » January 23rd, 2006, 12:17 am

Boudicea was a Celtic Queen of the Icenni tribe in ancient England. She had two daughters--what position she assumed when she conceived them is anyone's guess, but eventually she led a revolt against the Romans who were occupying the country at that time.

She won a few victories and people flocked to her. Soon she came toward London with a huge army. Knowing they could not defend the city, the Romans abandoned it, leaving the Romanized Brits at her mercy.

And she was not very merciful. She burned the city to the ground and tortured and crucified hundreds of people. The Romans eventually took a stand against her. They had a small army, and Boudicea's forces were so confident of victory they brought their families along and brought wagons to carry off the plunder they planned to strip from the dead Roman soldiers.

Mistake. Though the Roman Army was smaller, it held an advantageous position on the field and was better armed and better disciplined. They defeated Boudicea's forces--in fact routed them. They fled the battlefield only to become entagled and blocked in the wagons they had brought. The Romans killed almost all of them and captured their wives and children for sale as slaves.

Boudicea escaped. She killed her two daughters and herself to avoid being captured and paraded through the streets of Rome and then executed.

Sad story. To some people, she is heroic. She stood courageously against oppressors and gave them a good fight even if she lost in the end. Others, however, point to her brutality when she destroyed London. So she gets mixed reviews.

If Lewis used her as a model for the White Witch he is certainly only showcasing her bad side.

David
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby NarniaLover89 » January 23rd, 2006, 4:00 am

Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me.-Saint Patrick Of Ierland

old user name Ian
NarniaLover89
Wardrobian

Postby anon » January 25th, 2006, 7:22 pm

anon

Previous

Return to Questions & Answers