This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Lewis's early plans for the Professor (Digory Kirke)

Lewis's early plans for the Professor (Digory Kirke)

Postby Curious » February 2nd, 2006, 5:35 pm

Curious

re: Lewis's early plans for the Professor (Digory Kirke)

Postby Sven » February 2nd, 2006, 8:45 pm

Welcome, Curious!

Lewis did begin a early version of Magician's Nephew (The Lefay Fragment) just about the same time he was finishing up LWW. The final version of the book was quite different from the fragment, but Digory and Polly were both in it. It's quite possible he had planned on making Digory a king in Narnia in the first try at MN. Of course, that does also assume that he planned on having The Professor of LWW be Digory, something that's not stated in LWW.

Selah,
Sven
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Curious » February 2nd, 2006, 9:19 pm

Curious

Postby Sven » February 2nd, 2006, 9:25 pm

Oh, you're quite right about Digory being the Professor. My point was that, we don't know for sure if, at the time of writing LWW and abandoning 'The Lefay Fragment' if Lewis intended to make them the same person.

Right now, the only place (I think) you can read the fragment is in Walter Hooper's book Past Watchful Dragons, long out of print and used copies costing a small fortune.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Re: re: Lewis's early plans for the Professor (Digory Kirke)

Postby Stanley Anderson » February 2nd, 2006, 9:33 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Re: re: Lewis's early plans for the Professor (Digory Kirke)

Postby Karen » February 2nd, 2006, 9:45 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Curious » February 2nd, 2006, 10:11 pm

Thanks for all the info.! I just checked the holdings at my local Library and they also have it on their shelves. Although a true fan would probably opt for buying it. ;)
Curious

Return to Questions & Answers