This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Last Battle, a critical analysis

The Last Battle, a critical analysis

Postby sah » 05 Feb 2006, 20:21

I'm supposed to be writing a critical analysis on The Last Battle for Eng. Lit. and I'm not sure where to begin or what angle to take... any suggestions?
sah

re: The Last Battle, a critical analysis

Postby Guest » 05 Feb 2006, 23:08

ok, first, i am assuming you have read the book. If i were you i would write it in third person view, (he, she, it, ie. susan, peter. or did you

mean like from the point of peter, reepicheep(is he in that book?)lucy, etc. also, i would mention the concept/argument of the Narnia allegory WITHOUT giving opinions.

hope this helps, if it doesnt, tell me

p.s.- narnia allegory- whether c.s. lewis meant them to be like the accusation, conviction, and ressurection of christ. there is lots about this online. go to google, type in About(the website i found info abuot it)-Athiesm/ c.s. lewis, or something like that!!
hope your paper goes well

Postby A#minor » 06 Feb 2006, 01:55

Are you writing the paper about the writing style of the book, or about the story and its meaning, or both?

As for the writing style of Lewis, you could write about why the story seems so real; how Lewis managed to make his characters so easy for us to identify with, etc...

As for the story and its meaning, you could write about the Christian parallels of Aslan and Christ, and the "new Narnia" and our own heaven. You could compare the Christian walk with Tirian's struggle to make the right decisions.

Good Luck!
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » 06 Feb 2006, 03:56

You might try comparing the story to the New Testament prophecies of the last days - like comparing the Ape to the anti-Christ of Revelation, for example.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby nelsot5 » 04 May 2006, 05:08

Maybe do part of your paper on the Emeth/Aslan conversation in the chapter Further up Further In. Analyze Aslan's point that service to Tash can be counted as service to himself. Can Aslan and Tash who are opposites count allegiance to one as allegiance to the other by default?? Something to think about.
nelsot5
Wardrobian

could you give the the words on the last page that says this

Postby dewey » 09 Dec 2006, 19:15

Leslie wrote:You might try comparing the story to the New Testament prophecies of the last days - like comparing the Ape to the anti-Christ of Revelation, for example.
dewey

Postby carol » 14 Dec 2006, 08:45

You could look at themes like loss/triumph, hope/despair, betrayal/trust, depravity/nobility.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby john » 14 Dec 2006, 10:29

Ya think this person still needs help? ;)
john (aka DrZeus)
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Return to Questions & Answers